Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 8 months ago

Do Millennials have a distorted view of the recent past?

Like, I hear Millennials talk about the 70s and 80s, and they seem to think it was some sort of benighted Dark Age where people were ignorant of everything because there was no internet, and no news from other cities was ever heard. It makes me laugh how distorted their view of those decades is.

• susan
    Favorite Answer

I've never heard anybody of any age express that belief. It must be just your millennials.

• KatieC

I don’t think people were ignorant because there was no internet. I do envy them because they weren’t smacked in the face with media all day every day. I remember my house watching the 5pm or 6pm news on one of our 5 TV channels in the ‘90s, getting a newspaper, and that was it. It wasn’t just a constant 24/7 flow and there weren’t a billion news sites competing for views. And these aren’t just assumptions, they’re memories of life before the internet was in our home and definitely before smartphones. 

it looks like you have a distorted view of millennials. 

I rode a dinosaur to school in the 80’s!

I was born in the early 90's and often ask my parents about how life were in the 60's 70's and 80's. They always say it was the best time of their lives. Especially the 80's and 90's. So no, I dont have a ''distorted'' view on the past, I like history and the past is interesting.

Im a millennial and believe no such thing. Even in the 1800s news by word of mouth was extremely effective