Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 10 months ago

Is it necessary to see an OBGYN?

Ill be 22 soon and I'm an overall healthy female, no menstrual problems, & not sexually active. I hear a lot of people say that once your 18 its a good idea to start seeing an obgyn, should I have already seen one or should I begin to?

Favorite Answer

Seeing an OB/GYN can be good in that it might catch a disease early, or also tell you of any abnormality you have that would be crucial to your sex life.

It can do you good.

• alan P

You can always use the better save than sorry argument but why do you need to go to see a specialist doctor when you have nothing wrong.  In the United States medical care is very good, if you can afford it, but it's almost industry where talking up new business is the concern of some practitioners.  In the UK, where medical care is paid for out of taxation, women do not have cervical screening until they are 25 and I've never heard anyone say that this is dangerously late. 

• Edna

If you're not having problems in your reproductive organs, it's not necessary to see an OB/GYN (an expensive medical specialist who diagnoses and treats females). OB/GYN is a dual medical specialty. GYN's treat problems in a female's reproductive organs. OB's treat pregnant women and deliver babies. Which capacity he'll be acting in when you see him will be determined by why you're seeing him in the first place.  

Your regular family doctor can treat all your female concerns (painful periods; Pap smears; birth control, etc.) AND save you a bunch of money too.  If you have some sort of problem that your doctor cannot treat, he'll refer you to an OB/GYN. 

Source(s): BIL is an OB/GYN & my sister is an RN

If it aint broke, dont fix it. No need to see OBGYN

Doctors state that a female should start visiting an OBN/GYN when they turn 16 or become sexually active, which ever occurs first. Some say 18.  The exception to this is if a female has other gynecological problems at an earlier age.

• Layne

I am waiting and not sexually active either.  I will wait until 25 or sexually active.  Also, it is NOT annually, but every 5 years.

The recommendations changed recently to waiting until youre 21 (whether you’re sexually active or not) to see the GYN. Of course, if you want to go before then, no one will stop you. I went when I was 18, and again when I was 21. Only because of period issues, nothing else. I’ve JUST become sexually active, but regardless, at the age of 21 you should be having annual visits at the very least.

• Tavy

We don't in the U.K. unless we have problems. It seems to be an American custom no doubt for money. No way could our health service cope with examing girls for no reason.

I certainly would not go and be fiddled with.