What should I do?

I really love the performing arts and I wish I could make a career out of it but I can't. I'm hideously ugly and I don't have any talent at all. What's especially sad is that I devoted my life to it and I still love performing, but its obvious that I can't make it. Further more I have to add that I'm in college, I applied as a musical theatre major, but now I don't know what to do with myself. I don't too much care for, nor I'm I skilled in any other major, so I'm basically wasting time. I've been lying to people when I tell them I want to be a dental hygienist, the reality is I'm going to send the next 40 to 50 yrs of my life doing something I hate.

read "writing of one novel" by irwing wallace.

you may get a clue to survive.

If you don't have the talent to be on the stage / in front of the camera, are there any skills you have that could allow you to work behind the scenes?

Generally 'performing arts or dental hygienist' aren't the only 2 options.

It sounds like you're in a funk tonight. There are plenty of people in the performing arts who are not particularly attractive. Look at John Malkovich or Billy Joel. It's a bigger issue if you have really decided that you have no talent. Plenty of people in performing arts struggle for years, work in community theater or playing gigs. Some eventually make it. There are always a few people on The Voice who have been in the business for years, with modest success, and then get their big break on the show. I think you need to find out from your instructors whether they think you have any talent. 

This is why we go to college to figure these things about ourselves out. You need to talk to a gudiance counselor and set up a new plan of attack for graduating with a different major that is something you can at least tolerate and kinda like, and that pays the bills. Maybe you could get a degree in finace or business and work for a theatre company, something with crossover potential between 2 disciplines (art and XYZ)

• MS

People can work in theater without performing.  There are majors that provide education and experience is some of the behind-the-scenes aspects of theater. That might be something to consider if performing isn't an option.  Although, attractiveness is certainly subjective and also not a requirement for being a performer.