Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

What do you think I should do?!?

So my parents are having a Christmas party tonight and it’s for couples and they invited like 8 of their friends including my aunt. So my aunt was they first to arrive and I introduced myself to her because I’m most comfortable with her. I’m kinda socially awkward so I don’t like meeting or being around new people but I’m just up in my room now. I’m just contemplating because I feel like it would be rude to stay stuck in my room but I also don’t know these people and they’re not here for me. What should I do?!

When they have family over then I go down stairs and speak to all of them and hang around for a whole but idk these ppl. And plus I have my dog in my room and can’t let him out around guests 

• Foofa

Just mingle a little and grab some food. Most of these people will probably be drinking and won't be monitoring your behavior at all. So stop thinking you're the center of attention, you won't be.

Put on a Speedo and stick a potato in the back.  Put on your moms high heels and go downstair and ask anyone if they feel like getting lucky.  Boom.  Problem solved.

Just go out for small increments of time. Spend about two minutes outside your room, come back into your room for 15 or 20 minutes, then go back in your room. Maybe get a cup on one trip or get some food and linger a bit. It might trick them into thinking you were there a lot of the time or it can show that you care that they're there. That's usually what I do whenever family comes over. Also, if you don't know those people, they probably don't know about you and might forget that you were even in the house.

• Pyrus

In this case, I would usually focus on the food. But since you have someone you enjoy the company with, then why not just sit next to your aunt? Maybe have a simple conversation. If the conversation extends and includes a third party, then consider it a chance to get to know them since they are on good terms with your aunt (ideally speaking).

After that, focus on the food (again, it's what I'd do XD).

EDIT: Oh, you have a dog as well? Then that could be a nice excuse to go and tend to your dog and just go to your room :P.