Anonymous

Becoming a Pediatrician??

So i’m already CMA (certified medical assistant) Certified, what else would i have to do to become a Pediatrician? Should I: Get a Phd in nursing? Or a bachelors in Psychology? I want to be able to take my classes online mostly, and as inexpensive and easy possible. I just don’t know what I should get an undergraduate/or graduate in and i don’t want to waste money if my CMA certificate is able to get me anywhere... any steps or online school suggestions??

• MS
    Favorite Answer

It doesn't matter what undergraduate degree you get.  You have to take the prerequisite medical school classes.  Those won't be offered as part of a PhD in nursing (which would require that you first get a BSN) or a bachelor's in psychology.  They are math and science courses that you must complete (and do well in) for admission to medical school.  You also need to take and do well on the MCAT.  Being a CMA will not help you one bit with medical school, except maybe to give you some credit for clinical/patient experience.  You can't likely do all of your prerequisite courses online either, because many of them are going to be lab classes. I think you need to do a lot of research about medical school what it entails. 

• MS
      1 month agoReport

To be a nurse practitioner, you have to go to graduate school in nursing. You need a bachelor's degree before you can do that It doesn't necessarily have to be a BSN, because there are programs that will take you from a bachelors to a BSN to the MSN. But you can't do that all online either.

Try a bachelors in biology.

As I am no biologilogicalist, I can only say that I don't think people can become birds, although isn't Piers Morgan supposed to be a penguin. Makes sense as he is a bit of a slippery ****.

Source(s): Have you seen the man

To be a pediatrician, you must earn a bachelor's degree, completing a premed program (all prerequisite courses for admission to med school). Then 4 year med school, earning MD, then residency specializing in pediatrics (one of the most competitive of residencies).You cannot do premed or med school online. You have too many sciences with labs (unless you have a fully equipped biology & chemistry lab in your basement?), have rotations to do, etc. And expect med school to cost you a minimum of $500,000. Tremendous hidden expenses, on top of loads of obviously high costs.

• Laurie

You need a science-based BS, and a good score on the MCAT, to apply to medical school.

You have to get your prerequisites for med school which is about (4yrs) then do your residency which is like another 4yrs

To become a pediatrician, you have to go to medical school. You can't do that online. You can't do nursing school online, either, as you have to complete practica/clinicals where you work in a hospital under the supervision of an instructor. Master's degrees in nursing can be obtained mostly online- but graduate degrees in nursing are usually for the purpose of teaching nursing courses. After you get your degree in nursing, you can do more schooling to become a nurse practitioner, while qualifies you to do many of the things that doctors do. For just about anything in the medical field above your certificate, you will need to do a bachelor's degree first. 

• John

Only a physician can be a pediatrician.  Consequently, you would have to attend medical school.