aiste asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Fluent speakers of English, could you help me with my English?

I need to translate a paragraph but my English is not very good. Should I change this paragraph to make it sound more natural? I would be very grateful for any answers.

The author emphasized one more characteristic of the local population: during the occupation years, in order to preserve what what left of their personal freedom and avoid humiliation and eternal imprisonment, they exploited even the smallest opportunities to acquire education and spent their last savings to purchase documentary proof of nobility, in this way making speculators, committees, chancellor’s offices and the heraldry committees richer and becoming or remaining of noble descent but financially poor.

Favorite Answer

Even if the original source was all one sentence, that doesn't work in English translation. 

The author emphasized one more characteristic of the local population. During the occupation years, in order to preserve what WAS left of their personal freedom and avoid humiliation and eternal imprisonment, they exploited even the smallest opportunities to acquire education. They also spent their last savings to purchase documentary proof of nobility, thus enriching speculators, committees, chancellor’s offices and the heraldry committees and becoming or remaining "of noble descent" but financially poor.