Why would someone run their central air in below freezing weather? ?

On past winters they cranked up the heat so high it heated our apartment. This winter no matter how cold it gets they run the air conditioner all day and all night.  And to add to the oddness they run their shower all the time, when a few months ago we never heard them run their shower.  We share a wall, should I be worried about illegal activity?   I do worry the ac unit will quit and the rest of us will have to foot the bill.  

The compressor on the AC unit theoretically cannot run without the thermostat removed, when the temp is below freezing. The fan can. And what do you presume is gained by running the shower in a freezing cold house? Is this a heat pump or central air that you speak of? And if this unit is not yours, why would you foot the bill, doesn't make sense.

With  MOST central A/C systems, you CAN'T set it to operate when the temperature is anywhere close to the freezing point of water.

You should be worried about your DELUSIONAL interpretation of whatever you hear.

• Droopy

From what you post here I'd say this isn't the first person you've reported.  There probably screwing with you because they know how noisey you are.  Get a life

• elhigh

Should you be worried about their illegal activity: well, that depends. Are you involved in that activity?

• y

Heat pump is a possibility, as others have stated. Running an AC in low temps is possible with fan pressure controls and such. Many computer rooms run all year and such. I used to do installs and service for cell sites that run all year and needed the ac year round. Without proper controls in place it will kill the unit eventually.

seems like something for your condo board or landlord ... and tip the local police ... the combination of running a/c continuously in winter and shower may mean something to them about production of illegal drugs [fumes that must be cleared away??]

Source(s): grampa

They are intentionally running the utility bills as high as they can before "disappearing in the middle of the night".

Be watchful:  those types also like to clog drains so sinks & toilets overflow . . .  steal appliances . . . leave animals behind . . . etc.

Nosy, aren't you?   I don't care what the neighbors are doing. It is not me.  You are not paying their utility bill.  They could be THAT KINKY.

They must have a heat pump that supplies heat during the winter because. There isn't an air conditioner made it has a thermostat that goes below 50 degrees and if it's 50 degrees or colder outside your air conditioner isn't going to run! So it has to be a heat pump heating up the apartment.

Sometimes people run the AC to get fresh air inside without having to open a window. Many heaters don't bring in fresh air from outside but rather recycle indoor air. lt gets really musty in the winter if you don't open a window or run the AC. I don't really know if I would assume iIIegaI activity in this case.