Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 9 months ago

Why doesn’t Batman kill?

Especially the Joker

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

People who say he's an anti-hero, have him wrong. Anti-heros don't have a moral code or compass they abide by, but Batman does. He has a code, that separates him from the bad guys. He doesn't want to become the element he is fighting against. Another error is saying he is out for vengeance. I know in the cartoon.. .he says,  "I am vengeance... I am the knight... I am Batman." Well, regardless of those lofty words, that is not the character's motivation. He puts bad guys in prison, and he doesn't execute them. To execute them, would be to take vengeance into his own hands, and he doesn't bypass the justice system, or the right to a person's trial by jury. 

And because he works with law enforcement, and his a good relationship with the commissioner, because he uses non-lethal methods of stopping criminals, and generally making the lives of law enforcement officers easier -- he is tolerated. He understands that this relationship aspect is crucial for his vigilante lifestyle. He treads on thin ice though... as there have been some times where the police have gone after him. He cannot go out and kill people. It's one thing, if he fails to save a person -- but it's another thing if he actually causes a person's death. 

Batman helps the justice system succeed, because it wasn't succeeding in many cases, and often failing. It was in seeing the problem, that he was motivated to help become the solution. He doesn't want other people to go through what he went through. If it was just vengeance he was after, he would kill the person who killed his parents, and be done with it, but he has taken on a mission where he has chosen to sacrifice his own life, time, money, education...etc.... and make Gotham his cause. He's a soldier at heart, and though he plays the civilian, that's just not his lifestyle. 

The Joker is allowed to live because Batman is not allowed to kill him, because of his moral code, and because of his relationship with the GCPD. Also, killing off the villains means that they cannot be used in ongoing stories...and comic books are ongoing stories. These villains are fortunate that they are in a New York setting and not in Texas, where the death penalty (capital punishment) would have aced them. 

• 9 months ago

I'm just DYING to know the answer to THAT!

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

he has a code he lives by

we all do

this is why he doesnt kill

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

he has a code he lives by. that code is meant to separate him from the villains he battles. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

In one of the movies it was explained that killing the joker, and other like him would be to easy, but if he ever went down that path he would become even worse then they are.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

It was the 'law' of The Comic Book Code Authority years ago, but there's no reason not to now except old habits die hard

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

The moment he kills, he will become just another criminal. Like the joker, Harley Quinn, the penguin, 2 face and the rest of them bozos.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

It is Batman's code not to kill.

• Goerge
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

And then he becomes that which is is hunting. Revenge is his mistress but a cold and calculating killer he could too easily become.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

because he wuss

• 9 months ago

The Gotham government are the one who need to kill (via death penalty) the villains.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.