john asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 12 months ago

How can so many people believe in the resurrection it is so obvious that it is a fictional story ?

Favorite Answer

They're brainwashed starting young, before they have critical thinking abilities. If you introduced it to a reasonably intelligent adult of 25, they'd stay away from you, assuming you were quite insane.

I don't see that it's 'obvious' at all. Supremely unlikely, yes; but strange things happen all the time that are not (yet) explicable by science.

The whole thing is so obviously a fictional story but some people just can't see it. The Bible is no more reliable or believable than Harry Potter. They don't even know who wrote the Bible that they shield themselves with, or how reliable those individuals were. They don't even know Jesus's birth date or that he was born at all. They weren't there 2,000 years ago. How do they know what happened and what was said and if it's been recorded accurately. All religion is just a belief which everyone is entitled to. And while is seems obvious to some it's not to others. People can be very gullible, especially when there's fear appeal involved. 

There's evidence Dinosaurs existed. There's evidence for evolution. People have been believing in Gods and the supernatural long before Christianity and any of it's spin offs where even invented. And in all that time, no one has been able to prove any Gods existence. We call that a clue. God's don't interest me but people and their ability to belief do. Especially a story with pregnant virgins, talking snakes, resurrections and global floods (no local. no global. seems to be a lot of confusion on this one even among the believers).

It is not obvious to everyone. Belief in a supernatural reality is very common. A poll showed that 60% of Americans claim to have seen a ghost. It's also very common for people who have survived cardiac arrest to claim that during the experience they encountered family members who had died. Of course, many people want to believe in the resurrection, but that alone does not provide the explanation.

Most historians say that there is at least some truth in the Gospel accounts of the life of Jesus.

People who are very religious believe in miracles as a matter of faith and do not need scientific proof for events that are considered miracles but believe that God can perform miracles

• Andrew

Your argument fails in your employment of the term "believe." Having a belief in something is quite a different thing altogether from "knowing" something. People can "believe" whatever they like, that's not going to change facts, but the fact is that we live in a world where extraordinary things happen all the time, and science as we know it does a very, very poor job of describing how exactly this world came to be in the first place. If you're one of those people that chooses not to put any stock in the beliefs Christians do, that's certainly your right, but unless you were there 2,020 years ago, you're not in any position to say that it's fictional. 

• Marli

Because we want to believe in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.  We want to believe that death and decomposition is not our end and that God will be merciful to those who believe that Jesus is His Son and who obey his commands and instructions.  We want to believe that sin and crime and people doing dirt on others will be punished - by God if not by the law courts of our countries.  We don't want to despair.

I can't believe that this life is all that there is for any of us, including animals, plants and insects.  We ruin this planet, but it's a fantastic planet.  How can such a fantastic place be happenstance?  Other religions have saviours and miracles, so it's a good question why I believe Christianity over Buddhism or Islam. But I do, and I suspect that I'll find out after I die if I was right or not.