Is online trolling a crime in UK?

I know that celebrity Katie price women is tryna get a law in for making trolling a crime. I think it's ridiculous. People should have freedom of speech. Insults don't factually cause hurt, it's subjective. Its your thoughts about the comment that hurt you. Silencing people is not right in my view. We have choice to come off internet if we cant handle it. What you think?

• Clive

No, because if you want to ban something, you have to be able to define exactly what you want to ban or a clever lawyer can always argue around it.

So what we DO have is law against "malicious communications"  and stalking online, which makes it illegal to send communications that are intended to cause distress or anxiety.  So it's all about intent and that makes it difficult to prosecute if the sender of the message is just a complete ********.

Nevertheless, freedom of speech ought to have limits when it DOES cause distress whatever the intention was.  It's just incredibly hard to legislate about that so it hasn't been done.

My own solution is just to not use social media.

I think that if people like you respected other people, there would not be a need for such a law