Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelOther - Destinations · 1 year ago

Why do Chinese tourists have a bad reputation? ?

1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

What I've observed is that the acceptable social norm for public behavior in crowded areas of China is clearly very different than what it is where I live or visit. I see it in New York, Boston, London, Paris.

I see purposeful blocking of sidewalks so they can hear a tour guide or take a photograph or have a group conference, so people have to walk in the street--where there's heavy traffic--to get past.

I see an arrogant "ownership" of sidewalks by the men--not unique to Chinese men--in regard to women, children, and younger men, where they demand you get out of their way and they absolutely will not get out of yours.

I hear voices far louder than necessary to be heard by those they're with.

I must note that this is most certainly not all Chinese tourists, but the ones who behave like this make a more lasting impression than the others who do not.

There are lots of reason for this

- The international travellers are rich and somewhat boorish in how they act towards others.

- Chinese have been brought up that foreigners are different, and so they don't know how to act when abroad.

- Chinese are very dutiful travellers, but they need to be told what to do and how to act. They will eat the local food, follow the local customs and be polite if someone would tell them what they are. 

- They are often not experienced travellers, so they are not sure how to act (like the bad American tourist of the 80s and 90s).

- They often turn up in large numbers

- They love to take photos of themselves. 

Some experiences, after living for 7 years in China, that I have seen elsewhere include

- In a cave temple in Vietnam, I am sitting there quietly enjoying the serenity of the cave the light streaming in illuminating the cave. Then a hoard of Chinese tourists turn up, loudly take photos of themselves in the light and move on.

- In Taiwan, I want to exchange some money. 3 large northern Chinese (by their accents) woman are loudly counting their money while a harassed looking person is waiting. Then I go up and politely ask in Chinese to change my money. She looked so happy.

- In Australia, my friend's friends came to stay with me. They didn't speak English so would go up and ask people randomly if they speak Chinese. But I showed them how to use the free barbecues in parks etc, which made them happy, as they could buy seafood from the supermarket and cook it on the barbecue. Suddenly they become much less stressed. 

- Oh, and I rarely saw such rude behaviour from Chinese people in China. 

A lot of them travel together in groups. 

• 1 year ago

I travel a lot and what I've noticed is that when visiting touristy areas/cities a lot Chinese travelers normally are in very large groups. The norm is to push people aside to get by. Due to China being such a heavily populated country that is their societal norm so for them it isn't considered rude to do so in a huge crowd. I think they just have a bad reputation due to not being familiar with what is or isn't acceptable in a different country. I'm 5'1'' and I have been shoved and pushed out the way by people larger than me, it's very frustrating and rude but it is something I have come to expect in my travels. Another thing I have noticed to is when taking pictures many of the Chinese tourists do not seem to be aware of other tourists and will move in front of you while you take a picture or if you are waiting in line to take a picture of or by something, frequently I've had a group cut in front of me so they can have their picture. I honestly don't think they mean to be rude, its just a lack of awareness of other customs and norms and more often than not I experience this with tourists who are much older.

• 1 year ago

Because they are weak in English. They are unable to describe properly.

For this reason, Chinese tourists have a bad reputation.

But they are good people.

• ?
    1 year ago

Because they are fuckingdense as house bricks the arrogance of the chinese , they are all stupid I saw another **** tourist operator telling them they were at the Sydney Harbor Bridge pity they were in Victoria.

• 1 year ago

They talk out loud in Mandarin slating western people thinking nobody knows what they mean, someone always shouts back at them in their language, someone you'd think wouldn't know Mandarin.