How as a parent do you feel about gender roles children’s toys perpetuate? ?

Does it ever effect you seeing certain toys pegged for girls and others for boys? 

If your child ever wanted to play with toys not typically associated with their gender is that something you would allow? 

What types of toys do your children like to play?

In general do you think children tend to enjoy toys made for their gender other than those that are not?

Let me know, and feel free to include any other thoughts/feelings you have on this subject! 

• LizB
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

The marketing of obviously gendered toys bothers me. Let kids play with what like IMO, the packaging doesn't matter. A couple of times my son has said something about certain toys being "girls' toys," and my answer has been that there aren't boys' toys and girls' toys, only toys, and anyone can play with whatever they want to play with. I'll say the same thing to my daughter if she ever starts thinking she "can't" play with toys marketed at boys. F*** marketing, let kids have fun!

• 1 year ago

IDGAF. If they're playing nice and not either trying to kill each other or destroying my house, I'm good with it.

• 1 year ago

What we did with our girls was let them decide what they wanted to play with.  They liked some things like Barbies and  Beanie Babies that are more typically female, and things like Legos and blocks that are often thought of as more male.  It never occurred to me to tell them that they could or could not play with or like a certain thing because it was "for boys".

When I was little, my brother sometimes played Barbies and paper dolls with me, and I played Lincoln Logs and Matchbox cars with him - no big deal.

1 year ago

I do think it's true that children tend to enjoy toys made for their gender, i have a 5 year old son, and a 7 year old daughter and my daughter plays with things like dolls, kitchen toys, easy bake oven, doll houses, and much more. My son plays with action figures, toy cars, he loves baseball, monster trucks, and more. I think those types of toys are suitable for boys, and dolls are suitable for little girls. It's just right.

• 1 year ago

Toy manufacturers aren't stupid.  They test their toys on children to find out what's popular with whom

We wouldn't have stopped our children from playing with non traditional toys, but it was never an issue.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian