Ryan asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 10 months ago

How much kimchi and  sauerkraut should i eat?

I bought little 500g jars of them. I'm new to trying them as i just came off antibiotics and i need to re-add some good guys in there. I hear you can't eat it everyday but some say you should eat it daily if you're on antibiotics. I dunno. Help guys thanks

Favorite Answer

You should wait until the antibiotics are completely out your system before you eat fermented foods. It takes 3days for antibiotics to take effect on the body when taking them so it will be the same when coming off them. If you dive in there to fast and eat them right after coming off antibiotics, its just wasted good bacteria then because they'll just die within minutes being inside an antimicrobial system. Wait a few days then start eating your normal foods to repopulate the bacteria you had whatever your diet is. :) 

• denise

A little of either everyday should be nice, when you have them with cold meats/smoked sausage [sauerkraut]

Or with a rice dish/bonn mi sandwich [kimchi].

If the kimchi and sauerkraut has been canned as in the jar is sealed, the probiotics are no longer alive. Both products must be made the old fashioned fermentation method to contain probiotics.

You are better off eating yogurt or drinking kefir.

LMAO I don't know but I have a big sausage you can gargle on FART LOLOL

MAGA 2020

• Louis

You can eat it every day if you want. But I don't think you will get any benefit from it until after you finish the antibiotics. and even then the benefit will be just marginal. There are hundreds if not thousands of different species of bacteria that live in your gut. Most foods just contain one or two species. 

If you are on antibiotics for a real long time it might be worth the money to buy a high priced probiotic supplement. Some of the high prices ones contain dozens of species. Or a bottle of keifer which has a bunch too. 

Get better soon.