Do you use Winter tires during the winter?

I am driving my dads car under his insurance and he will not let me get winter tires.

He was telling me its a waste of money even if I am paying for it. its an AWD Crossover. Now I want winter tires cause everyone else has them but also for safety, he has never used them on any of his cars and just has really good all seasons and never got into an accident for like 40 years.

we live here in Ontario where its not required to have winter tires, while we do get brutal wwinters like lots of snow and it can get very cold, the plows usually try to work its way to the main roads and salt it up or sand it up.

or if it snows a lot, we just don't go out. I've driven it on brutal days where it has snowed a lot and the plows did not come yet, and I survived I just had to drive really slow but its scary cause I still sort of skidded. Not sure if I will skid with winter tires

there are also lots of days during the wintwr season where we may not even see a singlee speck of snow and its just rainy. so im not sure. in 2018 it barely snowed and my friend wasn't too happy cause that was the first year he got it and he spent $900 CAD

Favorite Answer

I do drive on winter tires, but only because they came with the vehicle when I got it.  I also live in Ontario, and this vehicle is the very first I've ever driven with winter tires.  I'm also nearly as experienced as your dad, plus I've got access to a whole lot of crash statistics from 15+ years as an insurance broker.

Your dad isn't dead wrong, but he's not entirely right either.  Having driven on both, winter tires definitely do make a difference.  It's not a huge difference, but there is a difference.  They're made of a softer compound and have a rougher tread, and they do grip most surfaces better in cold weather.  Like 4WD, however, winter tires will do nothing when you encounter high winds, whiteout conditions, or wet / black ice.  

And, just like 4X4 / AWD, they also tend to create a false sense of security in many drivers.  I've lost count of how many accident reports I've taken that included the words "but I had winter tires / 4WD at the time", as if your tires or power distribution are supposed to make your vehicle invincible.  For that reason, I have to call it a stalemate.

Know this, remember this, and don't ever forget this:  No amount of technology or safety features will ever replace smart driving.  All that stuff is nice, but what you're driving / what you're driving in or on counts for nothing compared to how you drive it.

• zipper

I use all season tiers, and most likely that is what is on your fathers all wheel drive. The last winter tiers I saw were about 25 years ago, it is now all season.  So I have to agree with pop:  WAST OF MONEY!

"where its not required to have winter tires,"  Then the government says it is OK?  If you are not planning to go skiing or into the mountain passes, AND YOU CAN AFFORD TO take days off from work, then you can do that.

. Western Canada

I got mountains and I can NOT go there without good snow tires, even though the highway is plowed & sanded.  Because they do not sand everywhere instantly, then that means in my job(house construction) they could be anywhere so if I don't show up to work, I don't get paid or lose the contract.

. You can skid out with snow tires, if you drive on icy roads. But in deep snow but his Town& Country tires will keep him in town until the roads are sanded and plowed.  With winter tires you have more grip into the snow to ease your way up. You learn how not to skid.(or lose traction)

. It is no guaranty that you will not skid out of control and slam into a wall. IF YOU KNOW HOW TO FEATHER THE GAS PEDAL.   It is no different than walking on ICE.  You will land on your butt or face because you lose traction.

It is dad's car.  Either learn how to drive it or DON'T DRIVE.

I say that for it seems you think that sanded roads is the same as pavement.  Then make an EMERGENCY STOP then. Note how much farther you slide OUT OF CONTROL.   That is the difference comparing to dry pavement.(you must have memorized that by now)

So that won't change until cars can FLY.

I would have thought everyone who drives remembers last winter but as soon as the first snows fall I avoid going into town because there are the clowns spun out into the ditches on both sides of the road...or other cars that have collided.

$900.00 is a lot of cash.  For what? A few months? No need for high performance BRAND NAME TIRES.   I get Chinese made tires $40 ea  for 4 plus mounting  and balancing so $200 for 5 months of use, then off they come for next year...perhaps? As tires stay on, they remain balanced. So do not go into the extra expense of removal and remounting them and rebalancing them again.  At most they may need air.

I just put a set of Blizzach WS 90 winter tires on my car. I can out drive 4x4's now in the snow. They need to come off in the Spring when temperatures get over 40 degrees. Keep the all season tires to put back on in the Spring. make sure the tire busters mark the position of the tires so that they go back on the same side you took them off of.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Winter tires don't change the weather. If it was your car, you should buy your winter tires on extra rims, possibly with additional TPMS in them. Since you're borrowing someone else's car, take what they have and be reasonably cautious, or walk.

No, I only use them in the summer.

Nope, been using all season tires since way back when. Had Pirelli's on a VW that got horrible traction in the snow. Even cheap all season tires work pretty good. If I lived in an area that had a super long winter, I'd do the snow tires. They do help if you have to drive up or down hill along your daily driving routes. It does help to have an all wheel drive or four wheel drive if you have to drive on rural un-plowed roads most of the winter. 

My Equinox has a set of very good quality WINTER TIRES on all 4 corners, as does my wife's car.

Wife's tires and car are almost worn out and we won't be changing her's back to Summer tires this Spring.

Winter tires??? You don't need winter tires. All season tires are the best and I even use them on my 4 wheel drive truck, going anywhere I wish. 

No need in the East of England.