Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentTechnology · 9 months ago

Does it make sense when I say this, or does it make me look dumb?

I have a Computer Science degree. Here is what I always say whenever someone asks me what I want to do as a career:

"I want a job that involves some programming but not a lot. For example, I don't think I want to write code all day. I'd like to be part of the entire SDLC. Also, I enjoy learning about different Technology and Engineering concepts such as Security, Computer Networks, Systems Engineering, Data Analysis, etc... I enjoy Math and Science subjects as well. I don't really view myself as a person who wants to write code all day, but I'd like to do some coding".

I've said this in pretty much every job interview I've had. I currently have a job and it pays decently, so maybe it's not dumb?

It makes sense to me and it does not sound dumb at all.  One thing though.  I find it a bit wordy.  I'd end it at SDLC.  After that, they probably won't care about what you want to learn.  Especially at an interview - you aren't being hired to learn.  You will be hired to do a job, and that's pretty much it.

• Judy

Makes sense. Might limit the available jobs though.

I got bored and quit reading ....

It sounds fine but if you were applying for a job that ws primarily coding then this would likely kill any chance of you getting the job. So long as you don't badly need a job, then I'd stick to the truth but if there came a day where you were desperate for money then maybe coding all day wouldn't be so bad.

Whatever floats your boat ⛵

• danxp2

Thank you for answering your own question in your update.