Rebekah asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

Horses weight limit? ?

Hello so my family is coming down from about 4 hours away to ride my horse which not trying to be mean but they are a bit over weight. One is around 300 and the other is around 350!!! Like I said I’m not trying to be mean!!!!!!! But doesn’t that seem a bit to high to ride a horse? What should I do? What should I say to them?? Please helpppppp

Thanks everybody for answering!! I told them that they can’t ride they kinda got upset but idc my horses health is more important than there pleasure!! 

• Ocimom

Unless you own a draft horse or a horse that is part draft, I would tell them sorry but your horse is not big enough for them to ride.

Depends on the breed, a small pony will weigh much lessthan a large breed.

How tall is the horse? What's his or her breeding? Those are the factors which make the difference when it comes to how much weight a given horse can carry.

The other question I have is why you are letting your family members ride YOUR horse? If they are beginners, all they're going to do is upset the horse and screw up the animal's training. That's going to pose a safety risk to your family and a liability risk for YOU.

If your family really wants to go horseback riding, have them check out a local rental stable and see if they can sign up for a trail ride there. They don't need to ride your horse, they really don't.

• Rebekah2 months agoReport

16hh thoroughbred 

Just say your horse is lame and nobody can ride him/her

Horse should never ever have more then 200 pounds on its back. At 300 they are far too fat to be on a horse no matter how big the horse is. 

Fat people can't balance well and will only hurt themselves and the horse. 

Just tell them NO. You don't need to be nice to people who are too stupid for thier own food 

• Rebekah2 months agoReport

Thank you:) 

• Joe

"My horse has never had a beginner on his back.  You'll get hurt."

"My insurance doesn't cover other people riding my horse."

"My horse has pulled a tendon, and is on pasture rest.  Nobody is riding him."

or, if you're brave: "You are too heavy to ride my horse."

• Rebekah2 months agoReport

Thanks:) 

• PR

Unless the horses are draft horses, that is too much weight. Tell them the horses are out of training and may be freaky, might hurt someone. This actually would be true, because if a horse has too much weight on it, the horse may run in order to ditch the rider.

Tell them they can lunge the horses or walk them around, but no one can ride them. Or, get rid of the tack. Tack not ready for riders.

This is terribly unsafe for riders and the horses. You could be sued if someone gets hurt. You could have a terribly high vet bill, and a horse who may never be able to be ridden, again. Anyone of that weight, probably DOES NOT know how to ride, even if you had a Percheron, and probably could not get themselves safely onto the horse.

If they are coming down just to ride the horse, tell them to turn around, conditions are not fit for riding. Hide the tack right away, and DO NOT let any amount of guilt shed by any relatives or "friends" sway you otherwise. This is YOUR horse, who you are responsible for. 

DO NOT DO THIS.

A bit disturbing you own a horse and yet have to ask this question. Letting someone too heavy ride its back can cripple it forever.

Horses shouldn't be carrying more than 20% of their weight in rider and tack. So that means a 1,200 pound horse shouldn't carry more than 240 pounds.

Google this and SHOW IT TO THEM. Again - disturbing that you don't even know this. What else don't you know about horses????

• Snezzy

Really depends on the horse. Some chunky ponies can do 30% but you have to ask them if it's okay. A good horseman can read his horses and know when something is wrong.

The CHA (Certified Horsemanship Association) recommends you go with the 20% rule- a horse can carry someone who weighs 20% of their body weight. Your horse would have to weigh 1750 lbs to carry someone who weighs 350 lbs. If your horse cannot handle this, you need to tell them. Give them at least a few days of notice if possible. Just say something along the lines of "Hey, I'm really sorry about this but my horse is too small to sustain larger people. Please don't take this personally, I mean no offense. For the safety of you and my horse, you won't be able to ride"

• Rebekah2 months agoReport

It’s amazing how angry people get over the littlest things!! At least I’m asking and not just doing it. There is so much worse in the world legit Over in other country’s they drain cats blood and cuts dogs throats!! Does it make you feel better calling someone a moron? 

• C

This is a conversation you should have well before they set off and make it clear that the aim of their visit should be to visit YOU.  Make this very clear before anyone gets sets off for the journey so they don't sell the trip as a visit to Rebekah's horse. You are the final arbiter of who gets to ride your horse and you can say no for any reason.  You don't even have to call your relatives fat.  "Horse hasn't been good with other riders," or "We're working on behavior, now is not a good time," will do.  

You might find this helpful in future, but obviously pay attention to how your horse responds:

https://good-horse.com/tools/calculator-horses-can...

• ZotsRule

No, she needs to tell them the FACTS.  She could leave the house for a few minutes and they could go attempt to ride the poor horse.