Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 9 months ago

Guys doing ballet?

Okay, first of all I'm making this **** anonymous cuz of the shame I receive every time I talk about ballet.

I'm 14 and a guy who wants to start ballet. So what? I don't want any more shame for it okay?

I never told my parents cuz I'm scared of their reactions. I did soccer and basketball for many years but stopped cuz that's not me. I've never told my friends either cuz they'll laugh at me and call me gay.

I've only told my sister cuz we really close and I trust her. She laughed and told me that it's for girls. I showed her clips of actual ballet with dudes doing it and she said that she can't imagine me doing it and that my chances on actually going somewhere as a male dancer are zero. She thought I'd look ridiculous doing something so "girly" (her words, not mine)

Jeez!

I've told my little cousin too accidentally and she's like 4 and she couldn't stop laughing and saying no you can't!

That's 👏 what 👏 I 👏 wanna 👏 do!!!

I'm embarrassed to tell my parents to let me go to a ballet school. What if they don't let me? What if I make a fool of myself? What if my classmates learn? Crap!!!

Is it really that weird to do ballet as a 14 year old guy? I don't stand a chance, huh?

Maybe I need to forget it somehow I just can't

There are many ballet dancers that are male.  They are the ones that catch and throw the frilly dressed ones across the room. Or it is a girl built like a MACK TRUCK.  It is an ART.

Follow your dream! There are not enough guys in ballet so sometimes we get paired with boys who can't dance because of the lack of number. you sound like you have passion and that's all we in dance ask for. You will likely meet caring people in ballet class  and I highly doubt anyone in that class would judge you. Also I definitely wouldn't say it's weird many dances are partner dances between a guy and a girl also ballet started out as a guy thing.

You just want to wear a leotard, you pervert. lol

• drip

Then research ballet academies around you. Hopefully your parents will at least go in and talk to them with you.

Google Guys who take ballet.  And #boysdancetoo

I think you should follow your heart pal just ignore people that try to put you down.

there is an actor who was on a well known show in australia called Neighbours. His name is kip gamblim. He used to be a ballet dancer. Perhaps u could look him up and see his experiences.

• Sandy

if this is what you really want to do, then do it. research ballet schools and do what's required. don't let naysayers and dream crushers dissuade you. I hate people like that, especially when it's family. what do they know? their mocking let's you know how determined you are to become a ballet dancer. good luck and follow your dreams.

• David

Don't be so silly because we now live in an age of equality between both sexes no matter what your interest are.

There are girls who lift weights so much they look like female hulk, so..... why would you care about other peoples opinions? That's what makes you seem like a pansie, nothing else.

Go do ballet then! Who cares what other people think, you have to do what makes you happy. You aren't the first or the last male that wants to do ballet. Yes you will get some hate but you will also get praise from people as well. 

I'm a straight male and I wear nail varnish, eyeliner, mascara etc. I've had responses of absolute disgust from people and I revel in it! Because, that's who I am and what I want to do. 

Don't let people's opinions interrupt something you want and love to do. So long as you aren't hurting anyone, go do whatever it is you want.