Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaCalgary · 2 months ago

Is the city of Calgary Alberta Canada mountainous?

So when I say that I don't mean can you drive to the Rocky mountains? I obviously know Calgary is close and you can drive there easily for vacation but what I'm asking is when you are in the suburbs or in the city do you see mountains in the background? Is it a beautiful sight? Because out here in Vancouver you can be in downtown and see beautiful mountains in the background and that's what I'm looking for. Or is Calgary like Edmonton flat gross and farm land? So can you see mountains in the background in Calgary? Or even better is the city located inside the mountains like it is in Nelson BC (look that up so you know what I'm talking about) thanks😊

Yes, you can see mountains from Calgary, if you're looking the right direction and if there is nothing in the way. Yes, they can be very pretty. They do not, however, form an immediate backdrop to the city as they do in Vancouver. A quick look at a map will show you that the mountains are 100 km or so from Calgary. Calgary itself is what I'd call hilly in parts, and flat in other parts.

• 2 months agoReport

Would you describe Calgary as beautiful? Compared to Edmonton for example? 

No.  It is possible to see the Rocky Mountains from some parts of the city, especially in higher up areas.  But, the mountains are several hours drive away from the city.  They are easier to see than in Edmonton, or Red Deer, but, they are by no means obvious.

• Jay P

The Rockies are visible from Calgary but no, Calgary is not mountainous.  You could describe it as hilly though...