Mickey asked in PetsReptiles · 2 months ago

Do all the snakes have to eat alive mice?

I don't want to feed or kill real mice... But still want some pet snake at home...  Is it possible to feed them with frozen mice - already killed?...I know people do it but I m still pretty uncomfortable to see a real form mouse is swallowed by the snake cause they really look like alive mice... Is it possible to feed them with totally unformed meat? Like humans eat chicken but it doesn't look like a chicken... it's just meat... Why all food for snakes, mice look like they are alive even if they already dead... Can it be just a slice of meat?

I wanted to ask just if it is possible to feed a snake with just a slice of meat that we, humans, used to eat?

Favorite Answer

No. Not at all. Many snakes will eat dead mice. Snakes rely on odor and motion to detect prey. A moving object that smells right will induce a snake to strike. So, move a dead mouse slowly, head first in front of a snake (no sudden movements) by grabbing the mouse by the tail, and the snake will likely strike. You can also use a forceps to grasp the mouse. In fact, it is safer to give them dead mice, because a live mouse can bite. Many owners will kill a mouse and then offer it to the snake head first. Often the snake will strike and then coil around the mouse, not assuming or knowing that it is dead. If the snake refuses to eat, you can put it in a ziploc bag and freeze it. Then you can thaw it in the future and offer it to your snake again. In fact, some dealers sell frozen mice to snake owners to feed to the snakes. Make sure the mouse is completely thawed before feeding because otherwise the snake cannot digest it. Raw meat does not have the calcium a snake needs.

I have force fed baby snakes with strips of raw beef, sprinkled with calcium powder, when they refused to eat after hatching. Some snakes (e.g. a gopher snake I caught a while back) will indeed eat raw beef. In fact, I have seen a gopher snake trying to eat the remains of a dead mouse that was flattened and stuck on the road after being run over by cars. Give the beef a try, but make sure it contains calcium since snakes (especially baby snakes) can develop deformed bones without enough calcium.

No, snakes don't eat meat.

You can 100% definitely feed them frozen mice, in fact that's even better because depending on the size of the rat / mouse you're feeding to him they can actually attack and injure the snake. It's just something you need to get past if you really want a snake.

• Thea

Snakes need to consume whole body prey. The bones, organs and even the stomach contents are essential to their nutrition. 

• oikoσ

No. Some snakes don't eat mice at all but prefer things like fish, frogs, birds, eggs, or insects. The ones that DO eat mice can sometimes be persuaded to switch over to frozen mice that have been thawed but you usually have to start them on live ones or have somebody do it for you.

• oikoσ

There is a way around it. You have to skin a mouse, fill the skin with something like liver, and then sew the skin back up. The skin provides the needed scent and the liver provides the nutrients. Somehow, I think you would prefer to have a snake that eats nothing but eggs. Look up Dasypeltis.

Snakes are snakes, not people.  Yes, snakes can be TRAINED to eat food the snake hasn't killed.

I'm a vegan, so I have to ask.  It doesn't concern you that someone somewhere kills mice to feed to snakes.  It only concerns you if you have to watch?  Interesting.

• Mickey2 months agoReport

If I could rule the nature world I'd do that all creatures on the earth eating only fruits... Im against killing everything just to eat and then saying  - "that's the nature"...  But again I can't change it

You got a snake, but can't accept what the snake needs to eat? I don't know much about snakes, but I'd assume live prey items are better, even if the snake is in captivity. You got the snake, so give it the best possible life you can, not one sufficient to your own needs.