Hockey Section: What is your favorite Hockey Movie(s)?

IMO: D2: The Mighty Ducks

HM: Slap Shot, Miracle, and The Mighty Ducks 

• Mike W
    Favorite Answer

Slap Shot, it also happened to be the first hockey movie I watched.  

Maurice Richard / The Rocket IMO .. because who in their right mind 

didn't enjoy seeing Sean Avery's character getting beat up in a fight ?

• Goon is probably the best scripted film of what is a very mediocre lot (several scenes are lifts from better films but at least they're well done). Slap Shot is okay but the production/action shots don't hold up at all and the ending looks to be duct-taped on at the end (people quote the living daylights out of it much like guys I play golf with quote Caddyshack).

The entirety of the Mighty Ducks franchise are terrible films. Action shots are terrible, dozens of continuity errors, completely unrealistic. I guess if you're 8 or 9 years old and are as dumb as a sack of hammers they're okay but otherwise...no. Just no. The scripts are unforgivably bad. It's like they tried to feed hockey terms into a script writing programme. I tried watching one of them on a date because she said "I know you like hockey". I'd rather have a root canal without a painkilling shot than watch any of the lets-call-it-a-trilogy.

Miracle has "decent" action shots and Kurt Russell isn't bad (Noah Emmerich is decent; this before he became better known for his role in "The Americans" where he's outstanding), but it figures that the one time the Yanks did something that it's all they'd ever talk about. It's been 40 years. Just saying.

Youngblood is laughably bad save for Joe Bowen doing a cameo along with a couple NHLers who we're just going to pretend were in their teens. Another overly-quoted film riddled with errors a crackhead first-year film student wouldn't make. With Patrick Swayze doing...something and Rob Lowe showing off his bare buttocks (if that's your thing). It makes Road House look like something from Hitchcock.

The Rocket should have been better but wasn't terrible. It glossed over some things in the interest of narrative. Wanted it to be better than it was.

The Love Guru got NHL buy-in and is beyond terrible. I'm embarrassed that I actually watched the entire film when I could have been eating paste or a Tide Pod instead. Sure glad Mike Myers thought this was a good idea.

Mystery Alaska has a good cast but is bad. Russell Crowe should stick to rugby league (if he did a rugby league film I'd probably watch it).

The Red Army documentary is worth your time and was well done. Watch it. Seriously. In addition, Net Worth is really good and watching it might actually be educational. I stumbled upon it and was glad I did.

Sure glad CBC spent taxpayer dollars on a biopic of Racist Grandpa (Don Cherry) several years ago (the god-awful "Hold Your Head Up, Kid") because apparently his annual Snuff Films weren't enough of a crime against humanity.

• Bob

My favorite is Slapshot.

Slap Shot is still the best.

Slap Shot, Miracle, and the made-for-TV 'The Deadliest Season', with Michael Moriarty in an early TV role and Meryl Streep in her first role on film. Her movie debut in Julia came later that year.