Sondra S asked in PetsCats · 11 months ago

What do I feed my cat?

My cat is prone to loose stools but he is vomitting  in the mornings his dry food from the evening before. There is fur in it so I figure he's having hairball issues. Is it ok to give him hairball dry food? Will it give him more loose stools? 

• Laura
    Favorite Answer

I recommend grooming your cat more.  Hairballs happen when cats groom themselves and they eat the loose fluff.  You can prevent this by removing the loose fluff.

I would also recommend wet food instead of dry.  A lot of the time, cats will eat their food too fast.  The dry food expands in the stomach when it gets wet.  Now the cat is too full and gets sick because of it.  Feeding wet food prevents this because its already wet.

The loose stools could be from any number of things.  It could be from switching to a new food too quickly, from a food allergy, or from a health issue.  Because of this I recommend taking him to the vet.  At the vet you can talk about different food options and what would be the best to feed him. 

• Ken S

There is only proper or improper food for the species. Cats were not designed to eat kitty crack (dry food) Diabetes, kidney disease, blockages, obesity just to name a few things all come because people feed that crack to their cats, Be happy it is just hairballs and learn about feline nutrition here www.catinfo.org

I think it might be a good idea to have your vet examine him, diagnose and treat.   Keeping him well groomed might help with the furball build up?