Tasm
Tasm asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia · 9 months ago

Why do races go counter clockwise?

It seems like track, car, horse tracks all go counter clockwise. Why do they do that?

Not always. In the state of Victoria horse races go counter clockwise but in New South Wales they go clockwise. I am not sure about other states.

speedway races go clockwise i used to do speedway the dogs go clockwise

Because the drivers wheel in 99 percent of race cars on on the left or in the center and it keeps the driver from falling out so easy if the door comes open.

• roger

For  cars  it  could be  because   the  driver is on the  left side and thus it is easier to  turn left  and he   can see the inside of the  course better.

Most people are right handed and find it easier to go that way because the right leg is stronger.

• Mike

It would create an awful problem if some racers went clockwise and others went counterclockwise. They had to pick one.

There are a lot of answers that have been proposed for this phenomenon, but the most accurate is probably simple "tradition."  And since it's more about tradition than anything else, it actually varies from place to place.  It's nowhere near as universal as it appears, except for sports that have to have consistent international standards - like anything in the Olympics.

The most logical reason is the one given for NASCAR tracks:  Because American cars (including Stock Cars) place the driver on the left side of the vehicle.  And due to centrifugal effects, he most common type of collision in a stock car race is with the wall on the outside of the track.  Therefore, the driver is typically not on the side of the car that strikes the wall, and more space is available to absorb the impact.

I suspect that is an after-the-fact reason given for something that already existed, since the direction of travel was determined before most tracks had walls.  More likely it was just because it's easier to see where you're going in a left-hand turn when you're on the left side of the car.

• A.J.

People have speculated about rotation of the Earth and forces involved, the right foot, right hand first foot forward, and traditions from ancient times. I think it's simple. Although Hebrew is up-down or right to left, most language and most natural thinking is left to right. That's counterclockwise when in front of us.

Not all races are counterclockwise.

Australian Nascar, AUSCAR is clockwise. At least soe horse racing outside the US is clockwise. At least German Formula One auto race is clockwise.

I don't know, but it is a good question!!! yet, Formula 1 usually runs clockwise...this will now be bothering my brain and I will probably spend several hours on YouTube videos and likely end up at a flat-earth video

I'm not sure why nascar does, but if horses dominant extremity tends to be their right legs just as humans are, that could explain why horse tracks run counter clockwise since in turning more force is placed on the horses right leg.