Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 9 months ago

Is learning disabled the politically correct way of saying retarded? ?

8 Answers

  • 9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    not in the US.

    and it would be a person with a learning disability (in the UK)

    or person with intellectual disability (in the US)

  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    No, because these terms refer to two different things.

  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    I'm not 100% sure, but I would offer:  "cognitively" or  "developmentally" challenged.

    My favorite quote in the movie "Temple Grandin" with Claire Danes as the title role, she said, "I'm not less than, just different." I think that's beautiful!

  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    Is "politically correct" the ignorant way to say having respect for someone besides yourself?  Yes, sadly.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

    I am both gifted (high IQ 137) and learning disabled in one area. I have poor hand-eye coordination. I am "retarded" in the area of hand-eye coordination.

    But I still have a high IQ and am gifted with verbal skills such as speaking and writing. So the answer to your question is very much no.

    The only learning disability most people have ever heard of is dyslexia. There is also dyspraxia, dyscalclia, dysgraphia.

    But most people have only heard of dyslexia but it's quite well known that people with dyslexia who can't read can also have high IQs in other areas.

    For example, they may be experts at drawing and be amazing artists so again the answer is no.

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    i dont think so

  • Nunya
    Lv 5
    9 months ago

    It sure is.

    (fifteen words)

  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

    Indeed but i still say retard

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.