Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 9 months ago

Is learning disabled the politically correct way of saying retarded? ?

Favorite Answer

not in the US.

and it would be a person with a learning disability (in the UK)

or person with intellectual disability (in the US)

No, because these terms refer to two different things.

I'm not 100% sure, but I would offer:  "cognitively" or  "developmentally" challenged.

My favorite quote in the movie "Temple Grandin" with Claire Danes as the title role, she said, "I'm not less than, just different." I think that's beautiful!

Is "politically correct" the ignorant way to say having respect for someone besides yourself?  Yes, sadly.

I am both gifted (high IQ 137) and learning disabled in one area. I have poor hand-eye coordination. I am "retarded" in the area of hand-eye coordination.

But I still have a high IQ and am gifted with verbal skills such as speaking and writing. So the answer to your question is very much no.

The only learning disability most people have ever heard of is dyslexia. There is also dyspraxia, dyscalclia, dysgraphia.

But most people have only heard of dyslexia but it's quite well known that people with dyslexia who can't read can also have high IQs in other areas.

For example, they may be experts at drawing and be amazing artists so again the answer is no.

i dont think so

• Nunya

It sure is.

(fifteen words)

Indeed but i still say retard