Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 month ago

Is it possible to have mild autism but not mild Asperger's?

I was diagnosed with mild autism but was told I don't have Asperger's

• Hockey

Yes, that is possible. Asperger is one of the autism afflictions, but not all autism is Asperger's. 

Asperger's is/was NOT mild autism. That is a very pervasive myth. Asperger's simply means that a child learned to talk at the average age children learn to talk and did not have a speech delay and that is ALL it means! Check the DSM 3R and 4 to see that and you will find that the DSM 5 does not include Asperger's as a diagnosis any more and lumps it into Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

What they mean is you had a speech delay as a child so you are not Asperger's or at least that's what they should mean if they know what they're talking about. But Asperger's isn't even a diagnosis since the DSM5 came out.

The DSM-IV is "outdated" because the DSM-V is in use after 2013, so if you were diagnosed when the DSM-V was in use, then technically you can't be diagnosed with Asperger's with the DSM-V.

However, one of the criteria to be diagnosed with Asperger's according to the DSM-IV is to have had "no clinically significant language delay (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)", "no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.", and that "Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia".  Therefore, if you do not meet those criteria, by definition according to the DSM-IV you don't have Asperger's.

I myself, as a young adult (over 18), am verbal and able to have a conversation, however as a young child I had moderate receptive language delay and moderate to severe expressive language delay. As a child, I was assessed to have an IQ in the average range, and was also diagnosed with Autistic Disorder.

I imagine the term "mild autism" may mean that many of your symptoms are not severe. However, that does not mean that all of the "excluding" criteria (e.g. no clinically significant speech and language delay) needed for Asperger's are met.

Therefore, yes, it is possible.

Source(s): https://www.autism-society.org/dsm-iv-diagnostic-c... Research and own experience
  • Nathan

Aspergers is not autism. Infact, professionals now so not use the diagnoses of absorbers as they have come to understand it is not a separate condition - it is just a milder form of low functioning autism

Yes, it's possible. I have mild Autism myself, so I know.

to be diagnosed with aspergers, you needed to have no or mild language delays before age 3.

if you had significant language delays it is classified as mild autism.

Aspergers was removed in the DSM-V in 2013. Autism is now a spectrum. Aspergers just an outdated name.

• Lili

Asperger's is a type of autism, so of course it's possible to be mildly autistic but not Asperger's.

These days, the term Asperger's isn't being used much.  People are just said to be "on the spectrum" or that they have "Autism Spectrum Disorder".  However, what was once called "Asperger's" is NOT the only type of "mild autism" that one can have.