2008 mustang gt won’t start! ?

08 mustang gt wont starter. Alternator is good (got it tested 3 times) battery is good (it’s brand new just got it yesterday) starter is good got it tested 5 times! All my fuses are good I checked every single one. When I try to start the car I can hear the fuel pump kick in and the gas flowing or whatever. The lights on the dash come on. When I engage my clutch and turn the key over, all you hear is a loud single click and the dash lights turn off except for the airbag light. BUT dash lights come back on after I put key back to try it again. 

Update:

And my terminals are clean as well! 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • M.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A voltmeter or a 12 volt test light and a few minutes will tell you whether your primary starting circuit (battery, battery terminals/cables, solenoid, starter) works.  Simple circuit tracing.

Put +12 volts on the starter solenoid terminal with the Ignition OFF and the transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL.  What happens?

In the dark, turn the headlights ON.  Turn the key to START and hold it there.  What are the headlights doing?

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

This sounds like the starter solenoid is bad, I had a Lincoln that had the same thing when it got hot out. It is on the finder well on the driver side in most FORDs It has two heavy wires and in most cases two smaller wires going to it and two 9/16 or 1/2 inch holds them in place. If that checks out you have a direct short going to the starter or a bad ground wire.  HAVE FUN It AIN'T an easy task; this is why mechanics charge so much for their knowledge.  May be you should go to one.

• 3 months ago

A bad battery will do that.

A bad starter motor will do that.How did you test the starter?

Bad battery cables can cause that too.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • jesus3 months agoReport

Took it off and took it to auto-zone they tested it twice it passed. Took it to o Reilly’s they tested it 3 times it passed 

• CB
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Just to be thorough are BOTH ends of each battery terminal clean (ground especially).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Eliminate the chance that the engine is seized.  Crank the engine by hand.  Engine turns, the engine is not seized.

Eliminate bad battery terminals.  Replace them.

Eliminate a bad battery.  Get a jump.  Car starts, your new battery is not good.  Get it charged and load tested.  Car does not start, you do not have a battery problem.

Eliminate a bad battery cable and/or a bad fusible link (if the car has one) from battery positive to starter B+ terminal.  Get a 12V incandescent test light.  Make sure it works by connecting one end to battery negative and one end to battery positive.  Key OFF, put the other end of test light to starter B+ terminal and touch the other end to battery negative.  Test light should light. Try to start.  Test light should remain lit and should have the same brightness. Test light does not remain lit or dims, check for a bad battery cable and get the battery charged and load tested.

Eliminate a bad block ground.  Connect one end of test light to battery negative and touch the other end to a metallic part of the engine.  Test light should not light up.  Try to start.  Test light should still not light up.  Test light lights up, check for a bad ground cable to engine.

Eliminate the chance the starter is bad.  Connect one end of test light to B+ terminal of starter and touch one end to battery negative.  Test light should light up.  Try to start.  Check if test light is still lit.  Connect one end of test light to starter body and touch one end to battery positive.  Try to start.  Test light should light.  Connect one end of test light to the S terminal of starter (the terminal with the smaller wire) and touch the other end to battery negative.  Try to start.  Test light should light.  If test light lights up on all three tests (while trying to start) and starter does not crank, the starter is bad.

• 3 months ago

I was going to say clean and tighten your battery terminals, then I read your update.  

If there is a clean and good connection, then the loud click is your solenoid .  So either the battery (despite being new) or starter are not good or your engine has way too much resistance.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Take it to a mechanic that specialized in electrical problems.

• 3 months ago

If the security light flashes rapidly, the key isn't communicating with the car. Try the spare.

Bypass the clutch interlock switch.

Might be a bad ignition switch. Ford ones are easy to replace.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

It is good you explained.   It is the BATTERY.  Take it back and they will either test it and try giving it a full charge before giving it back to you - or their tests show the battery is NOT PUTTING OUT...AS IT SHOULD.  A load test is something they can do in the store's back room where the charger is. That will tell them if it is good or a PoS.  It gets sent back to the factory as FAULTY.  It occasionally happens. Maybe it is a good day to buy lottery tickets or fly a kite in a lightning storm.(you might get lucky again) it seems to be YOUR day.

- no cost to you.   Always blame the simplest thing first...the 

Battery.

• David
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

Put some fresh gas in it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.