Sadiq asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 month ago

Is US closed to Japan?

Since the world is spherical in shape, if a person from Los Angeles want to flight to Japan, must he pass over Atlantic ocean, Europe and Asia as I see on global map or there is shortcut to bypass via Pacific ocean then to Japan?

Do not take it as joke, I'm been wondering for years.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

From the east coast, I have flown to L.A. and Portland to make connections with flights that go over the Pacific ocean to Japan and China. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It seems they have to make a tunnel.

• 1 month ago

Japan is west of LA, so why would you fly east?

• 1 month ago

Is being always wrong your new thing now ?

Attachment image
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Going across the Pacific is the shortest way, so that's how planes go.  It would be silly to go the long way round, so they don't.

The fun part is that this crosses the International Date Line from east to west, so you lose a complete day.  To take a random example, flight UA 32 from LA to Tokyo goes across the Pacific and here's the map of where it went yesterday https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL32/histo...  Yes it's a curve, but that would be a straight line if you traced it on a globe.

It is timetabled to leave at 10.40 am on Wednesday and take 11 hours 50 minutes.  But when you add the time difference AND that extra day, it lands at 3.30 pm on Thursday.

Going the other way, you get an extra day added and land before you took off!

• Emdog
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

on flight from Tokyo to Seattle, I got to Seattle before I left Tokyo (clock and datewise, natch)

• 1 month ago

All of the U.S.

has less distance to Japan

traveling to the West (over the Pacific)

rather than traveling to the East (over Europe and Asia).

• ...Show all comments
    • A Yahoo User
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

By "all of the U.S." I mean "all of the territory of the U.S." The easternmost point in the U.S. is 64deg W while Narita Airport (Tokyo) is 140deg E. This means that there are 156 deg (less than half the Earth's circumference) between the easternmost point of the U.S. and (traveling west) to Japan

• 1 month ago

The least-distance route from the USA to Japan is via the Pacific Ocean. 

maps.google.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.