FN - 2187 asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

Are carriage rides animal abuse or are people just snowflakes?

I hear people talking about horse carriages that pull people for a small fee is animal abuse and that the horse should be free.  But a free horse is not practical also I was told that horses like pulling and working 

• BOBBER
    Favorite Answer

Most horses especialy horses in public are not abused. Most horses enjoy being used and worked. As long as they are taken care of and given there free time. Years ago I rodeoed and roped. I had a older mare I rode to a lot. She was semi retired. She would stand by the fence and watch me go. When I got back she was just like a puppy. So glad to see me. One day I loaded my horse in the trailer and had room for another. I turned my mare loose in the yard and she went and got in the trailer, I took her for a trailer ride and she was so happy.

Source(s): horse owner 50+ years

You're an environmentalist, yes? You should be thrilled that people still use horses. If you TRULY care about our environment, horses are the way to go.

You've given zero details about the specific horses you're referring to.

Some carriage horses may be very well cared for and others may not be. 

Yes, people are snowflakes when they ask questions without giving any details or context and expect some sort of definitive answer that is correct for every situation. 

Depends on the person who works with the horse(s). Some people take precautions and keep their horse's safety and health into consideration. Others work their horses to the bone, put little to no thought about it's safety/comfort or just care about making money.

I've seen horses standing on hot asphalt for hours, hooked up to heavy tack and carriage. At a certain temperature, it's not safe or healthy for a horse to be outside doing heavy work, especially on a hot surface. Most carriage horses have shoes and metal shoes heat up quickly on a hot summer's day, it hurts. Beyond the pain of burning feet, they can quickly get overheated. It's not safe for them. Horses can and will literally work themselves to death.

The hours a horse works at a time is also important. Some people go out first thing in the morning and don't leave until late at night. Also, not safe. The horse will be exhausted. 

The health and muscle/weight of the horse is another factor. An underweight horse should not be doing hard work. They need to gain weight and condition their muscles before asking that of them. Going even more in depth, there are genetic and contracted illnesses that prevent a horse from safely doing certain activities, especially ones with lots of physical exertion.

On the other hand, there are people who are knowledgeable about the horse's health and safety and don't jeopardize it. It's all about the person. Done right, it's not abuse at all. Done irresponsibly or recklessly, it can kill and is absolutely abuse.

@Zeph Ideally, there would be padded shoes on a carriage horse that routinely works on hard surfaces. Although, that is definitely not always the case. These are specialized shoes (as I'm sure you know, just specifying for other readers who may not) that cost more for the farrier, even more for the owner and require a farrier that is knowledgeable beyond a typical trim or nail shoe. Not everybody wants to pay for this or has access to it. It may help with exhaustion to the feet and joints as well as heat transfer to the hoof, but it does absolutely nothing for the horse's overall body temperature. If it's too hot to work, it's too hot. Padded shoes do little to nothing to combat that. I repeat my opening sentences, depends on the person who works with the horse(s). Some people take precautions and keep their horse's safety and health into consideration, others don't.

As an overall idea, carriage driving is not abusive at all and some horses live for it. But there are factors that come into play (some of them I mentioned above) that can absolutely turn it into an abusive situation.

• zephania666
      1 month agoReport

There are rubber pads between the hoof and the shoe in carriage horses worked on pavement.  These protect from the impact on hard surfaces and any thermal transfers.

• Snezzy

We used to have a mother-daughter pair who were good saddle horses and also trained to drive. If they saw the carriage up on our pickup truck they would almost leap into the trailer because they knew we were going to go somewhere interesting. 

Occasionally we did paid work, such as weddings, but mostly it was just driving for pleasure, and it was obvious to us (and we hope to everyone who saw us) that the horses were enjoying the work.

Most people seem aware that what we enjoy as "civilization" was built through centuries of hard work, and that horses, donkeys, mules, oxen and elephants performed most of that work. It's only in the last 250 years that we have been able to see machines used in place of animals. Still, all throughout recorded history there has been concern for proper use of horses. Read Xenophon's book, "On Horsemanship" from 2400 years ago, where he advocates proper training for horses. Commercial carriage rides provide a direct connection to history, and (for the careful observer) an indication of how today's horses get better care than those of earlier times.

The people who object to the use of carriage horses are trying to set up "let's you and he fight," pitting horse owners against the public at large. 

Horses have been trained to do stuff like that for over 2000 years.

Generations of that, it becomes their enrichment in life and wouldn't know how to run wild. Not abuse by any sense, working horses need to work.

• Snezzy
      1 month agoReport

Over 5000 years if I'm not mistaken.

• Ocimom

Most of these horses are well taken care of and used to pulling the wagon/carriage.  

• Eva

It depends on where it is. In NYC the horses are very well taken care of and there are lots of rules governing their use. In other countries, it's not so regulated and they may not be taken care of as well. Domestic horses would get killed on the roads or starve to death if they were turned loose as some of these animal rights activists insist they should be.

• *****

There's not an answer that applies to all carriage rides, because it really depends on the conditions the horses are kept in or working under. Using horses for public carriage rides is not an inherently cruel thing, but some operators can certainly make it into a cruel thing. A lot of people will use the horse whether they are healthy or not, for very long periods and in all weather conditions. It's not unusual for a carriage horse to have untreated wounds, be underweight, or otherwise in poor condition.  Some places do regulate the industry strictly a d ensure horses are healthy and work only for prescribed periods of time in favorable weather, many places just don't care about their welfare. 

Horses are mostly bred in captivity and don't know how to live as a free horse, besides in captivity they live longer and get treated for diseases, work does not hurt them and as long as they don't work all the time it's fine, they get looked after in return for some work. So yeah, the people you are describing are snowflakes who would release horses and have them not know how to live.