Make tree fall in a different direction?

I'm not looking to cut the tree, I have no ability to cut the tree and can't afford to have somebody else do it. What I'm asking is If there is any way I can attach metal rope or something to the tree so that way when it finally does fall, it'll fall away from a cabin? Almost like a pulley system or tension system.

you tube.. .cut a notch out on the side you want to fell it to end a long diagonal down cut on the opposite side.. 

Trouble is you need a bigger tree...to connect to. Cheaper just to hire a guy with a chain saw and chop it down now and replant a short tree like a willow.

.Then again it may out live you and still stay standing.

It would take years without cutting the tree but you could try to tap the way maple trees are. You drill a bunch of holes around the tree so that sap drains out on the side away from the cabin. the top on that side should slowly die off as long as the holes drain away the sap(instead of leaves using it).

eventually you'll end up with a tree that has a strong living side and weak rotting side. the rotting side will get diseased, dry up, and become generally unsupportive dead weight. With enough years of maintaining a weak side(you may have to redrill holes) the dead weight might snap the living side over.

Of course if the tree is already dead you might as well have someone get it out ASAP the wind will decide the direction it falls. If you choose to attach any kind of cable, rope or chain be careful. If you pull too hard too quickly with a pickup chain can snap and come back to kill you. With metal cable, the same could happen but it's more likely you'd just be in the Emergency room. Cotton or Nylon rope will snap but only break a window out on your pickup at the worst.

Another reason to hire it out is that the tree will fall on the cabin if you tie your tow to low and pull away from the cabin. If you tie your tow too high the tree will land on you. 

Source(s): Studied horticulture in college, Tapped maple trees, seen tows go wrong. I saw my grandfather pull a tree down and barely escape from the pickup it almost landed on.
  • I care

Why not just have it removed or trimmed back so you won't have these concerns.

Once my neighbors tree was leaning toward my roof,  I did offer to pay 1/2 for this removal.  It worked out terrific.  

Yes. What you do is the professional way which is to get a lift. Then you go up to a limb and chop off about 3 feet, then another 3 feet. You keep going and in about an hour, you have lot of 3 foot long pieces on the ground which is a lot easier than fooling with tree limbs and a huge trunk that will kick back you. To do it the way you are thinking will get you hurt and destroy the cabin.

That would help, but remember the wire is a radius and so the tree could arc either direction along the circumference, or fall more toward the point where you anchored the wire. In other words, the tree may still clip the corner of your cabin.

You should cut a notch in the tree in the side you want it to fall towards. About half way through it. Then start cutting from the other side at the level of the notch. I found there is a U tube video on doing this I would advise you to watch. Just type “notching a tree” into a search.

The problem is you will have to attach the ropes or cables very high in the tree to have sufficient leverage to pull it away from the cabin. Also there may be some weak points in the tree that could cause the system to fail.

If it is a matter of money you may find that you can rent a chain saw for less money than the cost of the rope or cable system. Even if you throw in the cost of a handyman to help you that is better than hoping the cable/rope system will work. 

• Will

Yes. Obviously that is possible. That's what tree trimming/cutting companies do. They either cut smaller portions tied to ropes or have a cable tugging at a larger limb so that when it is cut it falls in the direction it is being pulled.