Why did they ask me for I’d when I buy alcohol I’m 25 ?

You probably look young

• chorle

Because it is the law and they don't want to loss their liquor licence. I would ID everyone even people older than me. I admit the last time I was asked it was because I used a check or credit card but I am old enough to have children your age. 

because you probably look young, AND it is the law

You may appear younger, and it’s often the policy to request ID if uncertain.

There was a rash of illegal alcohol purchases a few decades back, by theater arts majors. They apparently were really good with stage makeup. I was in my 30s when I was last carded and some stores make it a policy to card anyone who looks to be under 40. The penalty for selling alcohol to someone underage is severe.

1 I'm 63 and get carded 99% of the time if I don't already have the card out. 2 Some places card to make sure you're not using a stolen credit card. 3 The clerk has to put up with jerks all day long; don't be one of them.

How do they know your age without looking at ID?

• Clive

How do they know you're 25 unless you show ID?  Some places ask everyone as a matter of routine.

At least I have an excuse.  My answer is "with THIS beard?"  (I'm 54 and it's mostly white.  When I've gone totally grey on top, it's gonna be a REALLY dumb question.)

If I were you I'd look at my question and then try to ask it again in English (either update itor post a fresh one.

It is the law. I get asked at 32.