Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 months ago

I’m 17 can I fly to Cali to see my aunt from canada ?

Without consent from my parents since I don’t live with them. She would be waiting there at the lax airport for me I have my passpirt and all my id 

The point the others are trying to make is that people in California do NOT call it "Cali". Cali is a city in Colombia. Now, they are right that you need permission from your parents or legal guardian to cross the border. It doesn't matter who you live with. 

Your aunt from Canada lives in California? OK; and you want to fly to see her there? OK, but we still don't know where you want to fly FROM.

I wouldn't count on it.  May I ask why your aunt lives in Cali, Colombia?

IDK I never been, thank you 

• Mrsjvb

No.  You must be 18 to travel internationally without permission from your parent or legal guardian 

Everything I have ever read about it---and I've been googling this stuff for people who ask about it for some years now---says you need a consent letter from both parents. If you can only get a letter from one parent because that parent is the custodial parent, then you also need a copy of the custody agreement. If you don't live with your parents but have a legal guardian, then the guardian needs to write the letter. Whether or not you actually live with your parents or guardian is irrelevant.

You can try flying without the letter. If you fly from a Canadian airport with US customs pre-clearance, the airport may be as far as you get. If the airline allows you on the plane without the letter---they might not check, since immigration issues are not their business--then chances are very very good that you will not be allowed into the US once you land there. You won't get out of the airport. You'll be sent back on the first available flight, at your expense unless you are broke and get the Canadian embassy involved to repatriate you, and if that isn't until tomorrow morning then you may be held at the airport until flight time.

Like I said, you can try it. Let us know how that works out for you.

• AJ

Actually, no you can't. Why? because it is an international flight. If this was a domestic flight no problem. You are SoL

• DEBS

No idea where 'Cali' is. I know you aren't referring to California because the only person who has ever not gotten beaten for calling it that in the state was LL Cool J.

Sure if you flap your arms hard enough and believe.

Sure, no problem.