Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

How easy is it to get retired seniors age 62 and over to try learning a musical instrument?

Simple if they want to learn.

At 70+

I learned to read music, and play the alto recorder.  Of course it depends on the teacher and your wanting to learn a new skill. My friends and family are amazed I can play so well in such a short time when I have had no prior experience.

once you've defined the best method of learning as in listening, visual, or reading, much easier but same goes for all age groups. on the other hand, seniors have the upper hand in that they've probably lost one or more faculty and already adapted to that loss or reduction, for example, deafness or hearing aid/t loops.

• Sam

It is easy to teach seniors who are interested in learning something new, as long as they have the cognitive ability.   Cognitive skills decline with age, some faster than others.

It's harder to find seniors who are interested in learning something new.  Even those who have the ability, often don't have the drive.

Many who are interested, find they don't have the skill, but they can still appreciate music. . 

• Edna

If the retired senior is 62 or over, the odds are good that he already knows how to play at least one musical instrument. Once you know to play one instrument, learning to play a different one isn't difficult. It's basically just a matter of mastering the different fingering in wind instruments, and the different breathe control in brass instruments. 

I personally think the most difficult instrument to learn to play is a piano. I can play an alto sax with no problem, but a piano was my down fall. 

• RP

I think it should be pretty easy, but, as we age, many of us find it takes longer to learn than it did when we were younger.

Our Brain's stop developing around age 2O

& then begin declining w/in the next 5yrs so I'd

say as easy as sticking a chair through your 

Window !!!

...................................................

• Janet

It depends on the individual.

Would depend on the dexterity involved, most instruments depend on it.

Probably easier than you'd think because they have so much free time