When you are learning a language do you choose the country with the best accent or you don't care about the accent?

After looking at your question for some time, I've decided you probably meant to ask whether anyone chooses to learn a language purely because they like how it sounds.

I know some people do this. They hear a strange language, they think, 'That sounds lovely', they find out what it is, and (if they're really interested) they start learning it.

But most people have less subjective and personal reasons for learning a language. And some learn a language simply because they've been presented with the opportunity to do so. I did that with German. Free lessons were offered at my place of work, and although I wasn't specially interested in German at the time, I seized that opportunity.

Your question doesn't make sense.  You can't 'rate' accents by country.

If you're learning a language, you imitate the accent of the educated citizens of that country.

There is no such thing as "the best accent." Your personal preference is purely subjective. Some people disparage American English because they haven't heard it spoken clearly and well, or praise British English without distinguishing between the many regional accents. Even the Queen can be hard to understand if you are not familiar with Received Pronunciation.

Because I live in the western part of the US, my accent must happened to be Mexican.  But that's alright because the people I talk to are mostly Mexican or central American.

I didn't intend to have that accent,  but the learning process brought me into contact with Mexicans.

In my very long life I have found that people who always talk about accents know very little about another language.

• Zirp

No.  Accents belong to persons and regions.

When you learn English, you listen to British, American, Australian etc.

When you learn Spanish, you listen to Spaniard and Latin-American.

When you learn French, you listen to Parisian, Quebecois, Walloon , Swiss-romande and african

• Satan

Don't care about the accent - I'm learning German because I like the band Rammstein, and they got me interested in their music

• Nancy

As you become more advanced, many choose an accent to emulate, not a "country" accent as it's rare for any country to simply have one accent. I speak Spanish and Portuguese. In Spanish, I tend to emulate a Medellin accent of Colombia because it's the clearest, but having learned much of my Spanish in Florida, my vocabulary and slang is a mishmash of many Central and South American countries. While I later studied in Spain, in Madrid, I never adopted the Castilian accent of Madrid because emulating that accent tends to come off as pretentious. As for Portuguese, I speak in a Porto accent, but sometimes I will take on the Madeira accent, or just fall into it, just because it's such a cool sounding accent. I try not to do that, though, because I've never actually been to Madeira. When I was in Brazil, though, I did find myself starting to emulate the accent of Rio de Janeiro simply because so many found my Porto accent difficult to understand -- and I say the accent of Rio de Janeiro, but Rio itself actually has several accents, the one I somewhat emulated being a central coastal accent as that seemed the most universal and emulating some others, like that of the Favelas, could be construed as offensive.

• Eu sou do Brasil e estou aprendendo o inglês americano, porque de alguma forma tem mais influência no Brasil. Mas adoro o sotaque britânico apesar de ser um pouco mais difícil de entender. 

I can't mimic a Russian accent.

Hindi the Sexiest Language Alive. And i just Love the Accent of Indian women when they speak english...such a Turn On

Ommm