Do some people get two flu shots per year and is it advisable?

• Roddy
    Favorite Answer

The flu vaccine is formulated for the anticipated strain of the flu virus for that year. Once you've had the vaccination you are protected against that strain (or strains).

However, if a differnt strain turns up then it may be advisable to get an additional vaccination against that strain (if a new vaccine has been produced).

Also, normally flu is seasonal and the vaccination is offered at the start of the regular season in your area and is expected to protect you for the normal season length. Should flu break out some time later, or the season extend well beyond normal, then a booster injection may be recommended.

Only take more than one shot each year if it is recommended by your doctor or if you are going abroad where the flu season may be very different from the one at home.

flu shots have mercury

well come to the dementia  association

I once got a Flu shot in each arm. It's not recommended for Bellhops. 

• David

It would be unusual to get two flu shots per year because the vaccine production schedule takes about nine months, so there would not be enough time to have an extra vaccine ready in time.

The flu vaccine is normally grown in chicken eggs, however we are now growing some influenza vaccine in cell culture and soon will be making recombinant vaccine in tobacco plants.

These methods, once they can cope with the required production volume will have much shorter turn around times. Vaccines could be ready in two months rather than the current nine months, this would make it a viable prospect to introduce a supplementary mid season flu shot if novel strains are found.

• k w

you couldn't pay me to take them......

• harry4 weeks agoReport

bravo

• audrey

My doctor only recommends one. I've been getting just one for many, many years and have never had flu.

who would want two when even one doesn't work?

• Lynnmarie
      1 month agoReport

They work for me but I noticed that after 6 months they don't protect me anymore.