Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 months ago

I’m 17, wanting to go from Toronto to California (crossing the border) unattended?

My aunt lives in California, I’m living in Toronto. I have my passport valid id and everything I’d need to go visit her with, I am not living with parents atm and cannot get a consent letter but when I get threw customs my aunt would be waiting for me in California when I got off the plane. I called westjet they said a 17 year old can fly alone internationally with parental consent so I don’t understand what the difference is with the border. I have had people tell me to just go threw and that the border won’t even stop to ask. Not sure on what exactly I’d need but really need to visit my aunt! Ty :)

• Mrsjvb

as you are not a legal adult yet you are NOT ALLOWED to fly internationally without consent from your parents or legal guardians.  the only way around this is to be an emancipated minor.   you won't even be allowed to board the plane in Canada.  

It doesn't matter who is meeting you at the end of the flight.  as you are over 13, you do not have to pay the extra fee to be an unaccompanied minor( basically be in the charge of an airline employee at all times) so you can board the plane alone.   

CAN it be done?  YES

Will YOU be able to do it? Probably not.

I have my passport.  Good first step. It is your IDENTIFICATION not an entry pass.

I am not living with parents.  This complicates it for you.  PROVE IT to the satisfaction of US immigration.

I called Westjet they said a 17 year old can fly alone internationally with parental consent

Very good that is the rules for all Airlines from Toronto to USA.

Guess what. The US Immigration decides if YOU can even get on the plane.

Westjet and no other Airline operates as the US Immigration department they just move you from one Airport to the next.

The  Immigration AGENT you deal with decides if you will be allowed into the USA BEFORE you are allowed to board the plane.

At that point then the Airline rule you mention applies.

WHY WHY WHY are you trying your best to put obstacles in your way?

Up to you to present the best case possible for them to say yes. So far it is just NO not at this time.

You will have a much easier time in a few months when age 18. Just the way it is for CHILDREN that want to travel the world.

Under the rules of International flight the AGE is specific living with parents or on your own is not part of it.

• AJ

You have been told by the airline what you need to fly internationally, so I do not understand then why you are asking here for. The airline has the final say in the matter. No one else's opinion matters.

Your only other option is to cross the border and fly out of Buffalo, NY.

I do not know what the rules are for crossing the border in a car alone as a minor.

• Mrsjvb

he can't cross by land as a minor either without  being accompanied by a legal guardian.  

• MS

They will absolutely stop and ask when you go THROUGH Immigration & Customs, which actually will happen in Canada.  The US does not want unaccompanied minors wandering loose in the country, or to be party to a runaway or trafficking situation.  When you leave without your parents' consent or knowledge, that's what it can appear to be to immigration officials. They will not have the ability to talk to your aunt because she will be waiting in the US.  Even if they could, how are they to know that she's really your aunt and not a trafficker or other threat?  These are the reasons parental consent is needed to fly internationally alone.  It guarantees that parents are aware of where their children are going and who they will be with. 

The difference is that it's okay with Westjet if you get on their plane alone at 17. Westjet just flies the plane. Takes people from one airport to another. But it's not okay with the US Customs and Border Protection agency, which has jurisdiction over people coming into the US, if a minor child wants to enter the United States unaccompanied by a parent or guardian and without the consent of that child's parents. Maybe it's okay with your parents that you go to the US. Maybe it isn't. The USCBP wants some proof that it IS okay.

It's like the TTC is okay with a 17 year old taking a bus and getting off in front of a bar, but the bar doesn't let you in because you aren't 19 yet.

They want the consent of parents because until you are 18 they are legally responsible for you. You may be doing exactly what you say you are doing, meeting your aunt. But sometimes silly teenagers decide they want to travel to meet an online 'friend' who turns out to be a 50 year old pedophile. Or a parent takes a child out of the country without telling the other parent and that second parent never sees the child again. The consent letter is meant to help prevent both those things.

@ Brian  Your link is not relevant to this question. 

All airlines allow passengers age 17 to travel unaccompanied.  The issue for you is if Canadian or US Immigration will demand a consent letter. Officially, you need a consent letter.

The main concern is about small children. I traveled all over the world by myself at age 17, but it was a different time. I also took my son skiing in Canada when he was age 14 and no one asked me for a consent letter from his mother. I do not know if today a 17 y/o flying unaccompanied will be asked for a consent letter.

When flying from Toronto to the USA you will go through US Immigration & Customs before you board the flight to the USA.  I recommend you go to the airport and visit the office for US Immigration to ask them if you - as a 17 y/o - will need a consent letter to fly to the USA to visit your aunt. Doing that will save you from buying an airline ticket you are not allowed to use or (much worse) being denied entry into the USA.  Also ask the Canadian Immigration officers. 

• Brian

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200115050746AAVKqdX

Since your parents won't give you consent, you options are:

1. To stay in Canada

2. To attempt to cross the border.  You will either be successful or not.

- my guess is "not" since you won't have parental consent and have no real roots in Canada = we all assume you are looking to become an illegal alien. 

• leah2 months agoReport

Lmao