Should YA get rid of the anonymous function? It only serves to protect the identity of trolls and cowards.?

It's so easy to make new accounts or simply change your username that I don't think the anonymous feature contributes appreciably to the troll problem.

The last time I posted here anonymous posts could not be reported, which is why it was so fashionable (at least as of ~3 years ago). I would not be at all surprised if this was still the case because YA has always been a crappy social media platform.

• $$$

If yahoo got rid of the anonymous function that does not mean users can't change their nicknames. No, you still won't know people's identity.

I won't make my answer anonymous, so I can try to prove my point. Do you think $$$ is my real name?

FYI.....I can change $$$ to another alias, or my real name.

Hypothetically speaking lets say Yahoo removes the anonymous function then you won't know what my real name is unless if I were to tell you, or change my nickname to my real name.

The anonymous function just makes it impossible, for users to be able to see each other's nicknames even though users can still hide their identity by using an alias.

Yes, they should get rid of it ASAP

• Mark

Not necessarily.  But it cracks me up when someone dons the cat glasses, but then COMMENTS, and comments are always by user name, so the whole purpose of the cat glasses in defeated.  (People who post anonymously, then do this aren't very intelligent, sort of like people who light a match to see if a car gas tank is empty.)

I use it for personal things, or when I just don't feel like interacting with people I "know".

If there was no anon feature, I'd just use throw away accounts.

• Jeremy

Sure.  But, I'm not convinced that would ultimately help in curbing the troll problems.  It isn't like you're required to post any real identifying information.  You could just create an account and literally make your display name "anonymous."

To really fix things, they need much better moderation and reporting features.

• Elaine

You are not forced to answer questions posted by "Anonymous". 

Yes. It should be done away with.  Most people don't use their actual name anyway. It is just cowardice about being held accountable for opinions even under an assumed persona.

• david

YES.  That is not used to protect the innocent, just to hide the cowards.

• Wrong category, but yes