Laptop keeps on saying an USB device is not recognized even though I have nothing plugged in.?

I restarted my laptop when my laptop starting acting up saying the last usb device I connected was not recognized, but I don't have anything connected. When I restarted it, my laptop started popping up the notification over and over. Is there something wrong that I should be concerned about?

• Bill-M
    Favorite Answer

Make sure you have nothing plugged into a USB port, including your Mouse.

Open Device Manager, Expand "Universal Serial Bus Controller",  Right Click on all the "USB Hub" entries and Uninstall them.   Reboot the computer.

This action will reinstall all the USB HUB Drivers.

This should fix your problem.

• David

check device manager. look for !

Chances are, you need to install a new driver, or you are missing a driver.

Your computer has USB devices in it, even if nothing is connected to an external USB port.

For example, the USB ports themselves are running off of a usb device. Sometimes your external card reader or touchpad will install as a usb device, also. It could be anything, but you are probably missing a driver. That's why I tell you to check device manager to see if any device is not recognized, and then try to find a driver for that device.

• VP

Ok, you have nothing plugged into now.  How about: Do you ever plug things into your laptop's USB ports and what exactly are they?

Make sure that you aren't forgetting your phone, or other USB devices which are often forgotten.  If there is absolutely nothing in the USB ports, then the next step is to uninstall and reinstall the driver for the USB ports. 

Go to the Laptop Manufacturer's website and download the latest driver.  Uninstall the current driver, reboot and then install the newest.  Reboot again to see if the notification pops up again. 

The report probably refers to the usb port, not an absent device. It can be a glitch that disappears after booting. If the ports works ok forget about it.

• Rick

damaged plug ???? .................................