I have 2 DVD Recorders with built-in Hard Drives, both Panasonic, Can I transfer data to my computer from either one of their Hard Drives?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

you should be able to. hard drives in recorders are basically the same as those in a pc but may have a multiple stream style cache to aid multiple channel recording. They may be formatted for use in a LINUX based OS. In which case you may need to BOOT a linux CD to be able to SEE their contents.

• Login to reply the answers
  • David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Have a look in the manual and see if there is a facility to copy the files maybe via a USB stick, or if it specifies the file format system they use, you would then have to remove the drives, mount them in a USB-caddy and connect up to your PC

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Theoretically possible, but very difficult. The file system they use is something that comes from Linux, which Windows machines can't easily use. You'll have to download a Linux filesystem driver for Windows to use them.

Also the saved video files are proprietary, not something like a standard Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4.

• 1 month ago

Yes.

Keep in mind that many Recorders use EXT4 formatting which can't be read by Windows, so you need to use a linux machine.

They may also use a proprietary compression system that no codecs are available for other systems.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.