Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 9 months ago

Is it okay to leave your license plate on your dash in California?

So I looked it up online, and it says that it’s supposed to be mounted on the front of the car. However, my friend who got pulled over for no front plate says that the cop told him to at least put it on his dash. And I get it, might be kinda dangerous, but I’m thinking of putting strong double sided tape between the dash and the license plate. 

Putting duct tape on the front would most likely fall off. I can’t risk losing my custom license plate

It’s a car thing. Non car enthusiasts wouldn’t understand. The plate blocks the airway to the inter cooler and radiator. Plus hides a bit of the way that manufacturers designed the car. 

yes... ask a cop... its the LAW... 

• Bruce

Sounds like the officer was using his discretion, and the next officer may not have the same discretion. In order to be visible, the plate would almost certainly be a view obstruction, which would be another violation. 

• ?

Sh*t your friend says a cop said is not legally binding. If the website says it has to be mounted on the front, then it has to be mounted on the front. A cop pulling you over might not bother charging you if the plate is at least on the dash, but theres always that one by-the-book nitpicker who will write you up for everything, and its not like its any harder to tape it to the front than the dash

WTF don't you just put it on?

you can get some kind of rubber bumper and use and adhesive.

• W

Why not just duct-tape it to the front? Why would you want to put it on the dashboard anyway?