Darcy asked in PetsFish · 1 month ago

What's wrong with my fish please?

My lionhead has been living in a tank for 8months with a standard gold fish, a black Moor and a daneo. Everything was fine, then two months ago nearly I added two small black Moor fish into the tank. Its possible that its unrelated but I need to give all details. The big black Moor fish passed away after a month of the others being in the tank. Two weeks later my beautiful lionfish Nala is looking worse for wear! I think they have been eating her, but my other half seems to think she could be sick. Please help and have a look at the pictures, I hate seeing her like this and not being able to help her. She's like this on both sides. If I can't get help here I will bring her to someone who can help 

• Bort
    Favorite Answer

I have raised fish for over 30 years. 

My guess is one or more of the fish have become aggressive. The redness on that fish's side looks sort of rawness like it's getting nipped from being attacked / bitten by another fish. It doesn't look like any disease or infection that I know of. The only possibly aggressive fish that you mentioned that you have in the tank is the "Daneo", I assume you mean a Danio. Zebra Danio's can be aggressive if they're the only one of it's type in the tank and/or the tank is underpopulated meaning there aren't enough fish in the tank to prevent it, or a school of Danio's, to not be aggressive. You didn't mention what size tank you have them in. I can't really tell from the photo but it looks like a very tiny little tank in the photo you shared, too small for that many fish and that is a very tiny goldfish for it's age of over 8 months which is another thing that indicates to me that maybe the tank you have them in is way too small. Having too small of a tank for your fish causes a lot of issues:1. It stuns their growth. Fish will only grow to a size cooperative with their habitat. Small tank = small fish. They'll never get any bigger. An 8 month old goldfish should be at least 4 inches  long. That one is barely an inch. It's growth is stunned. I'm guessing that's due to the small size of the tank you have them in. Moors can grow up to 8 inches long in the right conditions. Moors have been reported but not proven to grow even larger than that. 2. It can cause aggression in fish that usually aren't aggressive and it will definitely cause aggression and fighting (over territory) in fish that are aggressive and territorial. The fish you have that you mentioned are not known to be aggressive, normally, but having that many in a tiny little 5 gallon or less tank could be stressing them out and causing them to be aggressive. 

I think the tank is too small, and you don't have enough Danio's, the Danio you have needs some pals to hang out with. That will calm the aggression if it is being aggressive. The first thing you should do before getting more fish though is increase the tank to at least a 20 gallon tank. For the 20 year average life span of the fish you have though you're going to eventually need at least a 55 gallon aquarium. 

Get a larger tank, and get just a few more fish. Maybe 3 more Danio's and another regular goldfish or Koi to balance the population out more to keep the Danio's from being aggressive. 

If that's not at least a 20 gallon tank maybe try upgrading to 20 for now as soon as you can and see how things go. Remember to establish stable water in the new tank before putting the fish in it. Let the conditions of the water balance and stay balanced for a few days before putting them in. 

I'm no expert but if I had to guess I'd say it has something to do with the fact that you're squeezing it like Lenny did with the rabbits in "Of Mice and Men."

I could be wrong.

never mix fish together. the weak fish will starve, and the stronger will be overfed

Goldfish are extremely hard to keep in bowls . I've tried it . If you don't want to put in a filter, you can always get a minimum of 10 gallon tank with plants

You don't know what your doing?

Make sure to change all of the water in that cup every day to avoid ammonia issues, she could've gotten cut on something?

This is their main tank, I took a third water out as the pet shop mentioned so I can gradually clean out the water. The black moors are behind the tiki head and the danio is swimming around 

• Bort
      1 month agoReport

My suggestion: If you can't afford a much larger tank like a 55 gallon maybe get another 20 gallon and separate the moors in to one of them and the other goldfish in the other to give them all more space to live and grow. 

• Jack H

Talk to a vet. I think you introduced a sick fish but I'm not a qualified vet...

• PR

Your fish is very sick. It is likely the fish was sick and if you are seeing any other fish bothering or attacking, it is probably due to the injuries already there.

I am wondering if the fish had a case of lateral line disease that has progressed? Either way, it has very serious ulcers on its side and it almost looks like bone is showing? I would talk to a goldfish specialist, right away because this fish is in dire circumstances. A store who specializes in these fish may be of some help, but may also recommend you put the fish out of its misery. Talk to them for an opinion.

There are also blogs for things such as goldfish, etc. That might be more helpful than a general site like this, because more people who keep goldfish will view your post or questions. It may not save your fish, but might give information to avoid other fish getting sick like this.

Also, when you change water, do you add anti-chlorine drops? Sometimes when chlorine has not been removed from water, fish can get a red streak on their side, but not this severe as to be eating into the flesh.

Things to keep in mind:

-Size of tank and amount of fish in tank. If you have too many fish in the tank, this might cause issues and disease.

-Filtration - is filter adequate for the tank and fish?

-Substrate: Do you clean the gravel? Gravel can hold a serious amount of dirt and if not cleaned, will harbor deadly toxins and bacteria.

-Ammonia and other water levels: Goldfish make more ammonia than other fish. This can cause distress and disease. Consider having your water levels checked RIGHT NOW, and then routinely after that.

-Water changes: Always use chlorine-remover drops.

-Water changes: Do not change a lot of water at one time. This can be a shock to the fish. Do smaller changes, but also check chemicals.

-Chemicals in the water: Bring samples of your water to an aquarium store who is knowledgeable and can check the water, on a routine basis.

-Number of fish: Do not overstock your tank. 

-Ammonia: Goldfish can produce a LOT of ammonia. This is one good reason to have your water checked on a routine basis, to be sure it is correct.

Go to the store you are purchasing these fish from and inquire. I once bought a fish from a store I don't normally deal with and one of my Angel Fish developed ulcers on its body. This fish did turn out to have lateral line disease which was already quite progressed. I was told to watch my water parameters.

Truthfully, I have found goldfish more difficult to keep than tropical fish. They seem more finicky and sensitive. Perhaps it is just me, and the way I do things. I keep Angel Fish, Silver Dollars and Tetras. I also use fine, white silica sand in the bottom of my tropical tank, to avoid dirt filtering under gravel. This may not be appropriate for goldfish, but does work for some tropicals.