Drew asked in PetsDogs · 9 months ago

What’s a good pet for a three year old?

I got my three year old a pet dog but they didn’t get along very well and my child poked the dog in the eye and the dog tried to bite him and that’s not acceptable so we had to have the dog put down and I got him a hamster but he was too rough with the hamster and it accidentally fell in the toilet and even though it did manage to float for a bit we eventually had to flush it away so after these experiences I was thinking that perhaps a tortoise would be good or maybe even a parrot?

Favorite Answer

I really hope you are trolling ..... you had a dog/puppy put down because after your young child poked it in the eye (and he TRIED to bite him, not did).    Words fail although I doubt there's any vet who would enjoy having to put a dog down for that reason!   If this mistake, which it was to be buying a pup for a 3 year old child, happened, the dog should have gone back to his breeder.  But then they'd probably not have taken the dog back since a 'good breeder' would never sell one of their precious puppies to a family with a child of under 5.

As it is, and reading the rest of this, taking it as fact, you need to buy your kid a stuffed toy.   NOT A LIVING ANIMAL.

• ron h

a teddy bear.  YOU KILLED A DOG BECAUSE YOUR KID ATTACKED HIM?

• P

Get some fish in a bowl - but please make sure you change the water frequently and feed them every other day

What do you get a 3 yr old with parents like you drew ?  Absolutely nothing! I don't believe you know how to take care of yourself, let alone a child...and with that said, please leave animals alone, unlike your family, they are truly innocent!

A teddy bear..

A Basset Hound puppy of course.

Should not have put that poor dog down. It was the child's fault that she got bit. Babies HURT dogs & a hurt dog retaliates by biting. It was not the dogs fault. The child is to blame.

Why didn't you just take the hamster out of the toilet before it drowned?

It used to be that there could be no children under 8 yrs old in a household when a dog was adopted out. Now there are so many dogs that they are being euthanized daily all over the world.

If you had have taught the child how to pet a dog & treat a dog, this would not have happened. It was not the dogs fault. it was your child.

All puppies bite until they are trained not to bite. So what happened was bound to happen cause you don't know anything about animals to know that you child is too young to be around dogs.

I have seen small children kill the little chicks that people get their kids for Easter. The kids just squeeze them to death.

There are many dogs that would be good for a young child like yours. But dogs will be dogs & children will be children. Children pull hair, pull tails, hit & aggravate the dog & poke eyes. Even puppies will defend themselves from the actions of small children.

Wait til your child is a bit old where you can teach it how to act around dogs.

The kind you find in the toy department at walmart

Dahling, it is simply too early to deal with the dribblings of trolls. Be a dear and fetch my fan, so I may whack you with it.

• *****

None, because you clearly are not committed to appropriate management and supervision of interactions. Try again when your kid is about six years old, if you've grown a sense of responsibility by then.

• Jack H

Give the child away and adopt a greyhound...