Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

How many Christians actually know that Mary was only 12-14?

Nobody knows that. We suspect it because that was marrying age in that society.

• P

She was a young virgin no older than 16 at most. It appears that Joseph was much older, a respected widower with children from his first marriage.  

Your answer doesn't bother me, because at 12 years old I was cooking and cleaning like a grown woman as well as going to school.  My mother was ill most of my life. Father deceased at 9 yrs. old.   I was married at 16 and holding down a full time job at 16.  Went to work in February, married in March and turned 17 in April.  Some women grow up faster than others.  I wasn't allowed much of a childhood, but I can't say it harmed me.  I was only married to that one man and it wasn't a bed of roses.  At 12 years old a lot of older boys were paying attention to me, but out of respect for the Lord, I waited for marriage.  Sex hasn't changed that much.  At 12 years old, I was very mature.  I'd seen death in the family.  I'd seen hard times with a sick mother and very little income.  So don't try to tell me what a young woman can do.  I accepted Jesus as my Savior when I was 9 years old.  My faith continues to grow, because I serve an awesome God.  I'm also worried about you, if you think your 12 year old daughter is safe from guys today.  She should have already been told about sex, pregnancy and especially celibacy until marriage.  Parents let their children down because they fail to realize how fast they can mature.

She probably was in her late teens although girls did get betrothed at a very young age.

Mary was obviously a virgin up in age. She seems to have her own place and donkey to travel and food, maybe she inherited by her parents. Mary's parents were not in the picture when she was given into marriage with Joseph. When she miraculously became pregnant she traveled to see Elizabeth her cousin who was along in years. 

Luke 1:28 Mary was highly favored. Meaning she was responsible, spiritually,Mentally and physically to handle marriage and a child. She was a mature woman not a 12 year irresponsible child. Mary was a dependable woman.

No 12 year old should be in a relationship nor trying to get married etc. 12 year old should be with parents and or with  a trusted family. A 12 year old is possibly still trying to work out her mentural cycle, balancing her emotions, and still in school or learning household chores. Not planning a marriage. It's not right!!! Its not the way!!! Sadly in other countries this is happening and allowed. But not right!!

When Jesus was 12 years old, his parents took him on their annual visit to Jerusalem for the Passover. -2 Timothy 3:15-17

None. Her age is not mentioned, only that she was of age to be married. Even if it was 12-14, so what? You are talking about the 1st century, where the average lifespan was about 40 years. The term “teenager” is a relatively new made up word, in prosperous Western nations where you don’t have to grow up. In 1st century Israel, girls were well prepared to step into adulthood by that age. 

• wombatfreaks
      1 month agoReport

Actually, most people who survived infancy had a good chance of living to 60 or beyond. The AVERAGE age of death was about 40 or so, but that counts for upwards of 25% infant mortality 

There is a legend that Mary (Miriam) was likely in early adolescence, but that Yoseph was an older grieving widower when he met Miriam. He was not the handsome strapping 18-24 year old depicted in most Nativity scenes. 

• Spah-ky
      1 month agoReport

Men age like wine and women age like milk. Even if what you say is true, so what. He couldn’t have been in that bad shape, Jesus had at least 4 siblings. 

• Dze

i think the most you could do is speculate, and i dont try to judge other cultures norms by our messed up western standards which obviously do not work well lol .. yeah over here in these modern times we want them properly brainwashed and with 3 abortions before theyre allowed to marry right .. back in the older times even here in the west marrying at 13-14 was normal .. marrying mind you .. not getting knocked up by some peachfuzz punk down the street that lives with mommy lol ...

• Alan H

Almost all are aware of that.   More likely the top end of that range.

About 100% of them. This is no secret for anyone.