Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

Which is a better option: Selling my car to the junkyard and buying a new one or trading in my old car at the dealership?

Depends on the car. I had a friend who wanted to junk his Dodge Caravan, and the junk yard didn't want it. Said they would pick it up if he paid THEM 200 dollars.

Also, it depends on condition and the make.

I don't know if this helps you but I took my car my old card in my local scrap yard I barely got 60 bucks for it they got the title so I'm sure they just rebuilt the car. If you scrap your car there places that'll give you a higher amount don't settle for 60 bucks look look look and find a place that'll give you the highest amount I remember some of these people are going to get the car running again.

• ron h
      4 weeks agoReport

dunno. At $60, it was likely crushed and sent to china.

Ideally, sell it on your own if its running.

Price it both ways! There are some cars that even if you get credit for a trade in- the deal will end up costing more then if there is no trade in at all.

There are also cars that will get a fair price as a trade in.

There is one other choice and that is to sell your car privately.

Take the Bullet Mustang- on paper it is only worth about 30,000 dollars at most, but because it is the "Bullet Mustang" even an exotic car dealer would take in in trade against any car on the lot. (Steve McQueen's "Bullet Mustang" just sold for 3.4 million dollars)

trading it in. Do it on the last Friday night of the month. That way the sales person is more likely to help push the sale through to his manager. Sales people get their commission check the first week of the month so they will do what ever it takes to make that last sale to put on their next week commission check.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Any car ready to be junked will not get squat from a dealer.Without you saying that make, model, year, and mileage your vehicle is, no one can guess at it's possible value.

No matter what you do as far as selling your car either to a junkyard or to a private dealer always far far better so what you have for cash and then go look for a vehicle then to take your vehicle to a car dealership and trade it in I will guarantee you that you get absolutely positively for your car! And in most cases they actually end up charging you more.

sure they tell you all will give you $5,000 for your car on the purchase of this and that and then I kick up the interest percent by two points. They kick up the actual price of the vehicle by $500. You never notice it and by the time you're done paying for the vehicle he's paid them $1,000 to trade in your car and you got absolute zero value for it I know I used to be a car dealer I know exactly what they do. Sell your car get what you can before you go to an auto dealer.

• Bort

In general a junk yard is only going to give a maximum of usually $200 for a car being forfieted to them. You might be able to get more than that out of a trade-in for it, but you might also not even get that much. If you can get at least that much out of it for a trade-in take advantage of that amount off the bill for a new ride. You won't know until you ask and try. Some dealers won't want it if it's truly only woth the value of junking it.

It depends on the vehicle. The junk yard will give you rock bottom price. the dealer will play games with the trade in allowance. Say the car you want is for sale at $10,000. But you do not have any way of knowing the dealer will sell it for $7,000. So he gives you $3,000 for your vehicle on the trade. In that scenario, you got nothing for your vehicle.

• CB

Wow - serious lack of information here. If your current car is a 2018 AMG Mercedes then selling it to a junkyard is a dumb idea.