Is daytrading a valid cause for getting fired from a job?

The problem is that I'm at work while the stock market is open, so I don't have any free hours to trade. I have a little bit of time during lunch, but there's hardly any volume at that time, so nothing moves that much. Could I get fired if my boss caught me daytrading during morning working hours?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • ron h
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

ask your supervisor if doing personal work while on duty is OK.  There's your answer.  AND a couple of places I used to work there was CONSTANT recording of my (work) computer screen.  That was well known and talked about.  We were sometimes SHOWN the recordings.  Those were big companies that could afford that.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

yes it is Kathy............................

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Anytime that is not work related is grounds for dismissal.

• 1 month ago

I don't normally have that problem because I work third shift.  Maybe your company has another shift you can work?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes that's too bad, get a large Account then place your trade's in the morning and Check them in the afternoon. Swing trading is not only stress less but also profitable.

• 1 month ago

You bet, and deservedly so. You are stealing company time.

• 1 month ago

you might get fired so i wouldnt do it

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

of course...........................

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you might get fired so i wouldnt do it while working

• DON W
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, you can (and probably will) get fired for doing your trading during work hours.  Most bosses wouldn't mind much if you occasionally checked market values and the like, but logging into your day trading and executing trades while you're supposed to be working is bad, particularly if you do it on their computer using their network.

Also be aware that many companies have software that monitors what you are doing on the company computer--the boss doesn't have to actually observe you doing your day trading.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.