g
g asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 month ago

washing machine drain height?

I was looking at an apartment and the drain for the washing machine seemed a bit high to me, it was about halfway up the height of a standard washing machine, possibly higher.

I don't know about drains and drain water pressure so I'm not sure if this should be a concern for me. I think some washing machines have set flow rates for draining water so it probably should be ok.

• ron h
    Favorite Answer

It's fine. That's how they are. The ONLY thing to remember is that when you take the house out of the wall drain and lay it down, over a quart of water will run out on the floor if you don' have a bucket ready.

My machine drain is several inches above the machine height, but the hose reaches it no problem. I would use the supplied drain hose as a measure for the vertical limit.

it was about halfway up the height of a standard washing machine,

That is LOW. The drain line should be ABOVE the height of the machine.

• Barry

That's about right. If it were any lower there would be the danger of siphonage of dirty water back into the machine.

• ron h
      4 weeks agoReport

the height is right but the drain hoses are NOT sealed to the drain, so no vacuum is possible.

the standard height is 3 feet  but if it is a bit higher that will not matter 

It should be fine.  Just make sure there are no leaks.

it is fine. drains are not pressurized and the washing machine pump is easily capable of lifting the water higher than that [even to head high]

• The normal height of a washing machine standpipe is 36 inches from the floor.   Most washing machines can cope with anything between 24 and 48 inches.  Water is pumped out of the machine so the maximum height is what the pump can achieve.  If the standpipe is too low, water will syphon out of the machine.

Sounds about right - in theory you can drain into a regular sink, which is much higher.

• geezer

You mean the height at which the hose coming out of the back of the machine 'joins' the waste pipe that is part of the plumbing.

''Just over half way up the machine'' is quite normal .. same for dishwashers too.

Washing machines and dishwashers never drain ''dry'', there is always some water left in the bottom of the machine.