Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 3 months ago

What's your opinion on people giving their children puppies as a Christmas present?

34 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It is absolutely cruel.  Who the hell is with it to properly train it by taking it outside frequently during the day?  Puppies can not wait hours to go until some fool comes home to yell and scream at it for weeing or pooping its crate.

You are tired and the kids like puppy but hate going outside in zero weather.  

IT IS PURE CRUELTY!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

If the parents like animals and the child is going to love the animal it's OK

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

I give a Basset Hound puppy to the local orphanage every year. They LOVE it!

• Bec
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

I think it's a bad idea. Whilst it's cute and the child is always so pleased and cried and it's all cute and lovely, the reality sets in when Christmas is over, you return to work, the dark cold mornings and evenings. The puppy needs training and the parents resent having to do it all as the child has lost interest (not in the dog but the responsibility of it).

If a dog has been on the cards for a while, the whole family is in agreement, the training plan is in place etc and there happens to be the right dog at Christmas time, it's fine.

This "I want a dog" on the Christmas list and oh look, it's under the tree on Christmas morning isn't right.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

They are sick............

• 3 months ago

Depends on the age of the children. If this gift would be the first time owning a dog, you are going to mess up many many times in training. Be sure child is old enough for the responsibility of caring for the dog.

If you get dog for a child be mindful of the temperament of the individual pup. You don't want a pup that will grow up to be aggressive.

Children too young will get bit cause they don't know not to pull fur, pull tail, poke the eyes or hit the dog. When I hear of a young child getting bit, I ALWAYS wonder what the child did to the dog to trigger the dog to bite.

• Jack H
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

If it's a nice puppy, I might make an offer to take it off their hands when they realise the work involved, if it isn't too nice, I let them know where the nearest shelters are...

• 3 months ago

It is a VERY bad idea. Most children under the age of 10 wont take proper care of it, and it is essential that you have somebody (not a child) to train it and behave as a family member.

• 3 months ago

I see those people as the enemy, I loathe hearing dogs barking, and I've had enough of scumbags that can't pick up after their dogs to last a lifetime.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Nothing wrong with it, why does it bother you? Obviously the whole family is going to be taking care of the dogs later.

• ...Show all comments
    • E. H. Amos
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Yes, just check local shelter statistics on owner-surrenders May - July.  TONS of 6-7 mo old "Christmas puppies" being DUMPED.  Conveniently timed for summer & "carefree" vacations, as the cute LITTLE puppy, is no longer an actuality - on either count.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.