Anonymous

Anxious feeling before/after sleep?

Last night I had a jittery/anxious feeling everytime I would try to fall asleep. I ended up getting about 6-7 hours of sleep and thought I would be tired when I woke up but I wasn’t. I woke up with that same feeling (not as bad as night before but still there) and this “empty stomach” feeling. I don’t drink coffee or energy drinks. I did have some cocktails after work last night but that was the only thing I did “differently”. What could be causing this?

It’s a frustrating routine: Your mind starts racing as soon as your head hits the pillow.

You’re thinking about your to-do list, that thing you should (or shouldn’t) have said to your boss, or how expensive your child’s braces are going to be. 

Then you catch a glimpse of the clock, and realize how late it already is.

At some point it’s hard to tell whether you’re having trouble sleeping because you’re anxious, or you’re anxious because you can’t sleep. The answer may be both. 

It’s a two-way street: Stress and anxiety can cause sleeping problems,

or worsen existing ones. But lack of sleep can also cause an anxiety disorder

• alexis

You could be dehydrated, and/or have a low blood sugar, especially if alcohol was involved. These can cause changes in blood pressure which can make you feel anxious and can give you heart palpitations.

Source(s): I have a naturally lower blood pressure and the doctor warned that I am especially susceptible to the symptoms you are describing up to and including me fainting. It is exacerbated while pregnant and breastfeeding as well considering how much is taken from my body during those times. I have it constantly right now being pregnant again with no appetite because of nausea.