Does it hurt to add a vapor barrier between a vinyl floor and a wood subfloor. I know I don't need it, but does it hurt to have it?

Vinyl is a vapor barrier so it would be a bit pointless, as you probably realise, but loose lay vinyl installations are usually adhered to an impervious fiberglass underlayer without any problem. If you don't require welded seams across the room you can omit this. Have a look at the manufacturer's website for typical details. It is bollocks to say that the wood subfloor needs to breathe, because it won't if you cover it with vinyl.

It depends on the type of vinyl floor you are putting down. Sheet vinyl is glued down so the vapor barrier would defeat the purpose of the glue.

With vinyl plank, some is the glue down type while others use the snap together method and the floor floats.

A vapor barrier would defeat the glue in the glue down type but could be used with the snap together type.

In all cases I would go with the manufacturer's recommendations so as to not void the warranty.

Yeah.  Are you planning on nailing down the vinyl floor?  Most vinyl floor is glued down so glue will stick to the vapor barrier, the vapor barrier won't stick to the wood floor.  It is stapled to it.  So you see the problem.  Besides vinyl is a type of plastic (so essentially a vapor barrier ALL BY ITSELF)  It does not allow the WATER from wet floor mopping to wet the floor.

So, you would be committing a great error.

it will do more harm than good ..wood floor needs to breath

• Bill1 month agoReport

OK, thankyou.  I'll skip the barrier.

The vinyl floor is a vapour barrier anyway so an additional vapour barrier shouldn't be a problem, or a necessity.

• Bill1 month agoReport

It's a floating vinyl floor.  No nails or glue.  I was just going to roll out the plastic underneath before doing the floor.  No nails or staples.