What is usefulness of religion?

Religions divided people, it causes homophobia, it causes hypocracy, it causes hate .

It is not about religion that causes us to gave salvation. It is about worship to God and humans. God has a set way that he wants to be worship. This is not what is popular but what is the will of God. So if the religion is not promoting the will of a God it is useless. 

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’

First we need to find what is the will of God. For information go to WWW.JW.ORG.

Religions do not divide families and the other things in mentioned in your sentence are the the things that cause hate.

• The_Doc_Man
      1 month agoReport

Sorry, but Tommy is correct and you are not.

• Al

besides being a good business, its a way to support what the ego has created in order to keep hate real and sacrifice real so that some part of you will always feel an element of shame for something you did not do for the benefit of receiving a gift that has already been given before time ever was....yes, God is perfect Love, none of this world is Gods creation, this is a collective creation of separation that isn't even real, to know what God is, is to know what Jesus meant by " ONE ".

Source(s): A Course in Miracles
  • Git

In every good, there is bad; in every bad, there is good. Like fire, which gives life, but fire also takes life. It is how people use fire, or religion.

You already knows the bad of religion but there’s is also good. Like a dying person who is afraid of the unknown, believing they are going to heaven, they can die peacefully. Or, the grieving who believe their loved ones is in a better place, feels comforted. It may be that the afterlife is a lie, but people needs consolation and hope.

It was designed for all that you mentioned and more. Especially it was intended to be used on the weaker and simple minds who would believe it, then they would be easier to frighten and control believers, as it has been used.

Only a complete idiot would say "love your neighbor as yourself" divides people and causes hate.

God said nothing about spiders I think and I still don’t trust them . Because I was thought that then then I took it on myself to trust them 2 years ago and it took time to build a relationship but I was suppressed and the first time I tried I couldn’t touch it so ? I’m 24 

• Ian
      1 month agoReport

Jesus said nothing about spiders, but my interpretation of his teaching is that we should hit them with a rolled up newspaper. Please don't argue with me on this point or I will accuse you of religious persecution.

• Paul

True religion reveals the will and teaching of God to His people. False religion forces the ideas of its human founder onto the people who practice it.

• John S

SURE! -- if you only look at negative outcomes AND blame religion (not people or cultures) for them -- then SURE.

For instance -- if I look at certain minority groups who have a high level of crime and incarceration and then blame their high rate of crime and prison  ON their ethnicity or race  -- then YES I can use that to say "what's the point?"

But wouldn't I be a bigot and a racist and be completely missing the REAL reason?

They don't commit crimes at a higher rate then other populations BECAUSE they are a minority or part of that group.

So here are my thoughts on this question...

1) Utilitarian Perspective -- Doesn't this question kinda 'assume' a certain utilitarian viewpoint of religion? - That it is a created thing like a hammer or a stoplight  and if it fails to serve a purpose, we should dispose of it, like junk?  Doesn't the question assume that religion was only created for a purpose and if it no longer serves us any purpose we should get rid of it? The question seems to drip of a certain consumerism and materialistic view of the world.  IF however, we question the consumerism and materialism that we've been raised with -- see beyond those views - then we may not even see religion in this way (as just another thing to discard)

2) Religion is not the cause of Homophobia. We see many religious cultures with many varying views on human sexuality. We can not say that homophobia is the result of religion, alone.  A) Society developed along with religion - so there is no time to compare a cultures view of homosexuality before religion and then after religion. It is simply NOT how societies developed. From all signs - religion is kinda baked into human psyche. (more on that later)  B) There have been societies where their predominant religion saw homosexuality as the only TRUE form of love -- love between 2 men was viewed as the purest kind of love in Roman culture. There are other cultures where their religion did not place as much stigma on homosexuality - so this blows your idea that religion creates homophobia out of the water. It would seem like there is a cultural component as well or at the very least that only SOME religions have prohibitions against homosexuality.

3) Homophobia label overused -- A lot of people over use the term homophobia. They mean it in a colloquial way to mean 'anyone who doesn't think homosexual sex acts are perfectly normal and good.' -- TRUE homophobia, like any 'phobia'   is a fear of or extreme hostile reaction to homosexuals. If I merely disagree with certain sexual acts such as pedophilia or homosexuality or beastiality -- I am not phobic -- I disagree and think it is not proper.

So even in religions who place prohibitions on certain moral acts -- I have never found a single one that teaches phobia or hate.  Individual people may have phobias or hate - but religions, do not. 

4) Misunderstanding the Source -- I would argue that because things like hate, hypocrisy, division, and homophobia exist in equal measure (I'd argue MORE) outside of religion -- the entire idea that 'religion causes these things' -is either untrue OR at the very least, extremely suspect. It is MORE likely that these things exist within humankind and that religion is misused as a justification.

We can BOTH agree that IF a religion actually taught these things -- then we should condemn that religion. But not condemn ALL religions.

I think we can both agree that IF a person exhibits (true) homophobia, hate, or hypocrisy that they are NOT following the tenets of their religion. IF, however we could find in religion those teachings - then we could both condemn THAT.

RIGHT?

________________________________

Before you allow yourself to think that 'religion' (all religions) cause these things -- I'd encourage you to look a bit deeper into WHAT these religions ACTUALLY teach, what their doctrines are, what their core message is, and what the average believer of that religion ACTUALLY professes and does on a daily basis. 

_______________

Lastly, I would say that on the basis you just outlined, we could insert Government, Culture, and even Family Life itself -- because I see the very same things you dislike coming out of individual families, from certain cultures, and definitely from politics. 

• Ian
      1 month agoReport

Also substitute the word "patriarchy" for "religious fundamentalism" in news broadcasts, and it makes a lot more sense. Christian fundamentalists are not obsessed with turning the other cheek, muslim fundamentalists are not obsessed with giving money to charity, it's all about the power of men.

Religion is what people do to please their God, according to their understanding of what their God requires of them. Most religions claim to be a system for people to use to gain God's approval. Most religions do, indeed, divide people and families but for hate and hypocrisy, you can only blame the corruption within individuals. That's because in every religion you will find some who are full of hate and who are hypocrites while others are full of love and are not hypocrites. It is not the religion, as such, that is the problem, but how people can manipulate and abuse religion for their own ends. 

In Christianity the Bible states, "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." James 1:27. You surely would not find any fault with that? Such religion is practical and useful.

• TI1 month agoReport

The system of man is like a maze. The mouse are us chasing the cheese in the maze forever until we die. The cheese are our desires aka sin. The way out is in front of the mouse, an exit out of the maze but the mouse is so addicted to the world it does not know it’s way out.