Is it rude to tell a professor that you don't need their class and will likely drop it?

I told them this before asking if I could still drop by to listen to their lectures. Upon seeing their reaction, I realize this might have been a little too blunt and perhaps even rude. They had immediately looked down and began packing up without looking at me again.

Though clearly, if I'm visiting a class that I don't need, I respect the professor and what they have to say.

Yes. You were rude in how you said what you said.

As so often, what matters is not WHAT you said, but HOW you said it.

I'm sure he's accustomed to the idea that not everyone needs his classes; that wouldn't hurt him particularly. But you spoke to him rudely, abruptly, without any effort to soften the message.

What you said wasn't rude in itself, but the way you spoke WAS.

You basically just told them they weren't important and their class means nothing to you.  Most people would take offense to that.  In this case, it doesn't matter that you're visiting a class you don't need since the perceived social blunder grossly outweighs any redeeming qualities of visiting a "class you don't need."  

Was it a communications, social skills or tactfulness 101 class?  If it was then I suggest you best betta sit your butt down in that chair and shut your mouth.  Lol.

Yes, you were rude. You should have asked for permission to audit the class, not for credit, but just because you were interested in his lectures. Now you've blown this up any way you look at it.

Yes, it was rude. 

• drip

You didn’t need to tell them anything. You didn’t know you didn’t need the class before it started??  Once you dropped the class then you could of said I did drop the class because it was determined I didn’t need the credits. I enjoy the class and was wondering, would you mind if sat in for the lectures 

yes it was, why not have just said (if you needed to say anything) that this is for personal enrichment? But you also might have taken a space from someone who really needed or wanted that class, and by saying you might just drop, came of selfish as well.

• .

The reaction often depends on the class size.  Classes with fewer than 12 students usually get canceled.  Many courses in small classrooms have a max limit of only about 30 students.  And sometimes a graduating senior needs that course.  So you taking up space in a class you're going to drop might annoy the professor.

• Speed

You could have been so much more tactful and kind.

But it's not too late.

"Professor Klein, I realize I came off as rude and abrupt when I said I didn't need your class, and I apologize. I don't need the course credits, but I'm still quite interested in the subject matter. With your permission, I'd like to sit in on lectures when I can fit it into my schedule."