Is this SAFE? or a little weird?

My doctors office somehow got a hold of my social security number even though I didn't hand it to them. Basically, I want to know if this is normal or if I should be worried. And if I should be worried what can I do to protect my identity?

• Enigma

They had no legal right to do that, Whoever gave it to them needs to be held accountable.

Check your insurance policy.  Usually our policy number will be a form of your SSN.  It is an easy way for the insurance company to assure that each policy (and person on it) has a unique number.  They can easily get your SSN from your policy.

How, federal law allows you to ask them to remove your SSN number from their Electronic Health Records.  They will be unable to remove it from any insurance records or from any records they are sent by other practices.  But they can remove it from their records.  You just need to ask.

Currently medical practices are one of the fastest growing areas to be attacked by hackers.  Because your name, DOB, SSN, and often your credit card information if you pay that way is all there.  And most medical practices do not have the best cypher security.

• David

In the UK this is relatively easy, the DSS  (department of social security) regularly writes to doctors if someone is sick for example and they are claiming benefit. The identifiers would usually include a social security number as part of the correspondence. When you hand in a sick note and sign it you give permission for the DSS to contact your Doctor for further information if needed.

As a data holder  - your doctor holds your medical records. In westerns countries they will be obliged by law to keep your data protected. In the UK there is the data protection act which outlines the steps need to secure your data. Only in cases where where the doctor felt it was necessary to prevent greater harm e.g. vulnerable children or adults at risk or the law required it would your records to be divulged without your permission to a third party. So the fact that your doctor has your social security number is relatively trivial compared to some of the very sensitive data they could potentially hold.

• Arnold1 month agoReport

The DSS is now known as the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

• audrey

Your insurance company had it. Of course your doctor's office has it.

• danxp2

They could get it from your medical insurance provider, previous medical records transferred over to them that included it, or you forgot. They need to know who you are so they can bill properly, I would not be afraid your doctor has your SSN. 

Will your doctor's medical records be compromised? Probably, at some point, hopefully after you die. There is little you can do but watch and/or freeze your credit for malfeasance 

• Jim

It's part of your medical records.